SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-01-05, 06:31 PM   #1
Wiltshire7

Default Neutral

It takes me bloody ages sometimes! i just keep going past it, one way, then the other.

am i just incredibly strong or is there something wrong with the bike? i dont seem able to touch it softly enough to stop is in neutral. If i do it softly it doesnt move,a nd just enough power and it goes into 2nd.

also i could smell burning when i rode today, could it be related? the bike was running at about 80-85 degrees when i checked. thats about normal from what ive seen of my bike. i may have just been paranoid though.

thanks.

p.s i recon its my insane strength
Old 14-01-05, 06:42 PM   #2
Sudoxe

How many miles has your bike done. My K4 use to do it, until the 4k service. It could be that the oil level is too high

Dan
Old 14-01-05, 06:51 PM   #3
PoRk ChOp

Mine has always done it, sometimes it's easy to find other times I'm up and down 1st and 2nd like a brides nighty

It's going in for it's 600 mile service tomorrow so I will mention it to them, I will let you know what they say
Old 14-01-05, 06:53 PM   #4
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
How many miles has your bike done. My K4 use to do it, until the 4k service. It could be that the oil level is too high
Or indeed, too low...
Old 14-01-05, 07:01 PM   #5
Wiltshire7

hm, i thought about the oil but it was too dark by the time i got home.

as for miles, i think ive just got up to 2,300. not exactly record breaking.

if u could ask at ur service tomorrow that would be great, and ill check the oil tomorrow also. its a k3 naked btw.

thanks again fellas.
Old 14-01-05, 07:10 PM   #6
ArtyLady

I had gear trouble last weekend - turned out to be my clutch lever had undone itself and wasnt engaging the clutch properly - worth a look? mind you didnt discover it myself - Mr Mumstoy discovered it when I announced that he ought to check the gear box oil - then he explained that the sv's engine oil is also the gearbox oil
Old 14-01-05, 07:51 PM   #7
Wiltshire7

Quote:
I had gear trouble last weekend - turned out to be my clutch lever had undone itself and wasnt engaging the clutch properly - worth a look? mind you didnt discover it myself - Mr Mumstoy discovered it when I announced that he ought to check the gear box oil - then he explained that the sv's engine oil is also the gearbox oil
Old 15-01-05, 01:28 AM   #8
Stig

Obvious checks to do first.

Oil level too high / low

Chain too slack / tight

Clutch needs adjusting.

Chain needs lubing

Sprockets worn (not in this case I think)
Old 15-01-05, 11:27 AM   #9
Carsick

Oil level does seem to be the prime suspect. It doesn't take much to make neutral a bit of a pain to find.
Just as a side point, you'll probably find it easier to find neutral first go from second anyway.
Old 15-01-05, 04:38 PM   #10
PoRk ChOp

Got my K4 back from it's 600 mile service earlier today and the neutral problem has gone, he told me he had adjusted the rod length on the gear selector??? I'm not sure if he was bull****ting me but its worked what ever he did. He then showed me a few tricks to help too, slightly release the clutch as you try and engage neutral - I have not had to do this as it has been perfect.

HTH