SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-01-08, 02:58 PM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default Servicing/Trackdays

Just a quick question regarding servicing, trackdays and schedules.

My bikes mileage after this weekends ride is about 3300.

If I was considering doing a trackday, and by that time it was likely to be nearer 3800, am I likely to do any harm to the bike doing a trackday and then getting the bike its 4000 miles service, or would it be better having the service done beforehand. Obviously i would prefer to do it after the day than prior too.

I had never considered it when in a car as the service intervals were much further apart. But my fear is that there is still some metal particals etc in the oil for example that might get thrown into the motor due to the more intense riding. In reality it probably wont get ridden any harder on the track than it does on the road.

Any advise from the more knowlegable would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-08, 03:08 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Servicing/Trackdays

If it concerns you, for the sake of £25 oil & filter, just do an oil change yourself NOW ... then get the bike serviced properly at the 4k interval to keep warrantee and service book happy, so what if they are dumping your fresh(ish) oil?

For £25 just do it ... its gotta be better for the motor and not much cash for the peace of mind!
Old 28-01-08, 03:21 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

I must say now although fairly mechanically minded when it comes to car, i have no idea when it comes to working on bikes.

Is it an easy thing to do, i would assume it is as i have spotted the filter when cleaning etc.

Can you re use the sump nut and do you need a new washer?

What oil is best to use?

Does it say how many litres of oil need to go back in once drained in the book somwhere?

My apologies for being a complete NOOB but when it comes to bikes I have so far just handed it to the dealer instead of voiding its warranty.
Old 28-01-08, 03:28 PM   #4
mister c
Mega Poster

it is pretty simple to change the filter and oil. i would always use a new washer for the sake of a few pence, can't remember empty to full, think it's about 3100ml, someone will be along shortly with the right answer.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-08, 03:49 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

I never bother with a new washer, and bearing mind yours is NEW, even less so

An oil change is very simple, if you can do it on a car, you can do it on a bike

If you buy a 4ltr tub, there will be enough oil to do the change.

As for exactly how much, there is a little window on the RHS (sat on bike) engine cover where you check the oil level. With the bike level, just put oil in until the oil is at the max mark in the window. Let it settle for say 3 mins, then re-top up to max. Then start the bike, run for 30 seconds (to fill the filter up). Then let it sit for 5 mins and re-topup the oil to the max mark. Job done.
Old 28-01-08, 03:54 PM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
I never bother with a new washer, and bearing mind yours is NEW, even less so

An oil change is very simple, if you can do it on a car, you can do it on a bike

If you buy a 4ltr tub, there will be enough oil to do the change.

As for exactly how much, there is a little window on the RHS (sat on bike) engine cover where you check the oil level. With the bike level, just put oil in until the oil is at the max mark in the window. Let it settle for say 3 mins, then re-top up to max. Then start the bike, run for 30 seconds (to fill the filter up). Then let it sit for 5 mins and re-topup the oil to the max mark. Job done.
This will be the way to go about it then if i book the trackday never noticed a sump plug, but i guess you dont have to do anything rediculous like removing lower fairings to get to it.

Its a shame i have plenty of rubber left on my standard tyres of death aswell.
Old 28-01-08, 03:57 PM   #7
FG1

If you have a look near the oil inspection window it is on the casing how much oil it takes.