SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2008 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2008 SV650.org's annual rideout.

View Poll Results: Who is Going
1 Man Tent for 1 Night 4 3.92%
1 Man Tent for 2 Nights 25 24.51%
2 Man Tent for 1 Night 5 4.90%
2 Man Tent for 2 Nights 57 55.88%
I am not going 8 7.84%
4 Man Tent for 1 Night 0 0%
4 Man Tent for 2 Nights 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-02-08, 12:31 AM   #61
on yer bike

Default Re: The Ar08 - Its Here !!!!!!!!

PING: 1 man tent! remember me! Learn from my mistake, you need a 2 man tent just for luggage! (preferably waterproof)

I will not be able to attend this year, due to my injuries it is too far a distance for me to drive. And I got no bike.

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 12:55 AM   #62
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by on yer bike View Post
]

I will not be able to attend this year, due to my injuries it is too far a distance for me to drive. And I got no bike.
not really up to date with this, but wasn't your accident back in september some time? busted leg/arm and some internal stuff right?

how's it all going? currently I'm in the same boat and at the minute cn't even walk (leg in fixed straight brace), but I'd say to you it's sometime away, see how it goes, a Positive mental attitude and determination, can truely do wonders, I'm hoping I can ride there admittedly not the same distance as yourself, but still something to aim at.

why not say it seems unlikely but you'll work towards it and see how it goes, can't hurt and costs nothing .

Oh and as to not having a bike, plenty of time to get one of those as well

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 01:11 AM   #63
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by on yer bike View Post
PING: 1 man tent! remember me! Learn from my mistake, you need a 2 man tent just for luggage! (preferably waterproof)
That wasn't a tent, you got confused and camped in the bag the tent came in
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 01:20 AM   #64
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
That wasn't a tent, you got confused and camped in the bag the tent came in
was that the one with the inside water feature

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 24-02-08, 03:01 AM   #65
on yer bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
was that the one with the inside water feature
Yeah it only had one side that was waterproof... Unfortunately it was the base, so let water in the top, but not out again. I almost drowned Saturday night and my phone did drown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
not really up to date with this, but wasn't your accident back in september some time? busted leg/arm and some internal stuff right?

how's it all going? currently I'm in the same boat and at the minute cn't even walk (leg in fixed straight brace), but I'd say to you it's sometime away, see how it goes, a Positive mental attitude and determination, can truely do wonders, I'm hoping I can ride there admittedly not the same distance as yourself, but still something to aim at.

why not say it seems unlikely but you'll work towards it and see how it goes, can't hurt and costs nothing .

Oh and as to not having a bike, plenty of time to get one of those as well

Cheers Mark.
Yeah it was back in september, I rear ended a combine harvester when it was stationary just after a blind corner. Like you say I had a broken arm, dislocated elbow, broken femurs, damaged hamstring, bruised liver, other bruising and internal bleeding. Pinned and plated in the arm, full rod and bolts in the leg. Worst bit was the liver, no booze for 3 months! You shoulda seen the other guy.. (My bike's rear cylinder looked intact, thats about it! But I scratched a rear tyre of the combine, Score!)

Arm has made a 97% recovery (I was told to only expect 90%, so am quite happy. They said they could get it to 100% recovery and less discomfort, but would take another operation, I have a few weeks to decide)
I got off crutches more or less a month ago, but can't walk too far just yet. And its more of a hobble and limp at times, you know too well what its like. Trying to get back to normal life, but I'm still suffering from slight short term memory loss, especially if I get stressed or jumpy. Been given the year off uni, but I'm still going to one or 2 modules anyway to keep me semi-sane, I'm just not technically there.

I hope your recovery is going well, I remember you were having trouble towards the end of the rideout last year. And to be honest after finding out what had happend I thought you were either truely brave or completely nuts for coming. But you did it and copped a lot better than some (including me, who couldn't even find a tent big enough for my luggage, lol).

I'm trying to keep positive, but on the other hand its a long distance for my little 1.1 to carry me. With the bike I wasn't planning on having a bike this year anyway due to being a student, (hence why I sold it the day before my accident!) I couldn't really afford to keep it running. I was considering getting a cheaper one, but that was before my accident. I still want to get one again, I really just don't trust myself right now. Plus the dvla say that my bike insurance will be invalid until the hospital gives me the all clear, although my car is unaffected.

I could always fly down and hitch the rest of the way tho , otherwise it's unlikely that I'll manage the distance no matter how much I want to.

Cheers, Marius

Last edited by on yer bike; 24-02-08 at 03:43 AM. Reason: trying to sound more positive :-)
on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 03:52 AM   #66
rictus01
Mega Poster

well in there, sounds like you're making cracking progress.

well I sort of understand where you're coming from although I did find it of great help to have a goal to aim for, I was going to make last years come hell or high water, I looked at everything, even train or coach, seriously.

OK realistically it may not be something you can manage, but you've got time perhaps that outlook will change over the coming months, and youknow the atmosphear at the last AR, IT WAS GREAT!, if I make it this year it very well maybe all I'm able to do, so will be sitting out the actual rideout itself, so you'd have some company .

Leave your options open, you never know, some one maybe coming down from up contry somewhere and possibly offer you a lift so you only have to drive to them .

If you want to go I'd like to think the guys & girls on here will do whatever they can to make it happen, it's what makes this place special after all.

Cheers Mark.
Old 24-02-08, 08:15 AM   #67
Skip
Mega Poster

I'll be there in a 3 man tent on my own - no idea what that is within your first post Viper so I voted for 2 man tent for two nights!
Old 24-02-08, 08:54 AM   #68
darylB

i'm coming this time, someone has to ride down with ed to curtail his speeding to make sure he doesn't lose his licence, .

Daryl.
Old 24-02-08, 09:14 AM   #69
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylB View Post
i'm coming this time, someone has to ride down with ed to curtail his speeding to make sure he doesn't lose his licence, .

Daryl.
Oh, I thought that was the other way round.

Old 24-02-08, 09:21 AM   #70
Devil Biccy

Thanks to the organisers for the new option and I will be there to ride and perhaps B-B-Q?