SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Closed Thread

Old 23-01-17, 11:21 AM   #71
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: The all new, slap bang up to date 2017 photo a day

To stop my dad moaning about his new laptop being "carp" or "broken" I headed off to Norfolk over the weekend to show him how to use it. For a change I took the train, especially as I could travel out on Friday after peak times cos I is between contracts. After train/walk/underground/train I am wandering around Norwich station killing half an hour before my last train and amazingly Abelio Greater Anglia still use some first generation Diesel locomotives and carriages for some of their rural routes. There were four English Electric type three jobbies stabled there on Friday (Class 37 in TOPS terminology) which I have up on my Flikr pages. Bear in mind these were built in the early to mid-60's to replace mid size steam locos. Below is the reflection in the windscreen of 37405, as if looking up at the overhead power lines that are (finally) spreading out across more of the country, replacing more and more diesel services. It almost looks sad and you can imagine it thinking wistfully about all the lines it has travelled on since it was built in May 1965...

These wires are replacing me by Trevor Laight, on Flickr
Old 23-01-17, 12:39 PM   #72
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
To stop my dad moaning about his new laptop being "carp" or "broken" I headed off to Norfolk over the weekend to show him how to use it. For a change I took the train, especially as I could travel out on Friday after peak times cos I is between contracts. After train/walk/underground/train I am wandering around Norwich station killing half an hour before my last train and amazingly Abelio Greater Anglia still use some first generation Diesel locomotives and carriages for some of their rural routes. There were four English Electric type three jobbies stabled there on Friday (Class 37 in TOPS terminology) which I have up on my Flikr pages. Bear in mind these were built in the early to mid-60's to replace mid size steam locos. Below is the reflection in the windscreen of 37405, as if looking up at the overhead power lines that are (finally) spreading out across more of the country, replacing more and more diesel services. It almost looks sad and you can imagine it thinking wistfully about all the lines it has travelled on since it was built in May 1965...

I'm impressed with your train knowledge Sir Trev.
Old 23-01-17, 01:12 PM   #73
garynortheast
Mega Poster

One of the views on my early morning run today.
Old 23-01-17, 01:36 PM   #74
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I'm impressed with your train knowledge Sir Trev.
Long winter evenings, rubbish on the telly, tablet balanced on my knee and Wikipedia John.

Nice catch Gary - I keep meaning to get up early to try and get some nice misty sunrises but, well, I'm too lazy...
Old 23-01-17, 06:57 PM   #75
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post

Living in Crewe, I used to see these on a very regular basis. They had a lovely whistling sound to the exhaust & you could hear them from wherever you were in the town. This is a picture off Facebook from a page that I'm on (Not taken by me). It was taken in 1987 before the land was bought for redevelopment. This is where all of the old engines came to die. They were dismantled & sold for scrap.
My house is situated just off this picture to the right. I'm so pleased that the land is now a housing estate
14045631_10207478395785392_1786621394472139293_n by Colin Hughes, on Flickr
Old 23-01-17, 08:08 PM   #76
maviczap
Mega Poster

As i said on your flickr page sir trev, a proper loco

Not as nice sounding as the Deltics, but still a nice sound to hear, unlike these electric trains, which have no soul
Old 23-01-17, 08:20 PM   #77
Kenzie

Not something you see every day

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/tr...wich_1_4860189
Old 23-01-17, 08:33 PM   #78
maviczap
Mega Poster

Confusedtree.com

2017-01-23_06-41-19 by maviczap, on Flickr
Old 24-01-17, 01:47 PM   #79
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Wow Col - that's a lot of dead and dying stock in that shot. Most of the 37's (and other early diesels) were fitted with steam heating boilers for the elderly carriages of their day or were freight-only sub-classes with no heating units at all. So, when newer electrically heated carriages came on line a lot of the early locos were relegated to freight or scrapped. Some were converted, like the two in passenger service I saw at the weekend which has given them a reprieve. Know what you mean about the sound Mav and remember it well from when these were seen a lot more frequently. What I did find fascinating is putting the loco numbers into Flikr to see how many images of them came up. One of them has been tagged hundreds of times and can be seen in at least four different liveries over the years in Scotland, Wales, pulling specials and charters, engineering and maintenance trains as well as nuclear waste flasks before ending up in Norfolk.

My neighbour has a similar shrub in his front garden Mav and if he ever pruned it properly his would look that nice too. Damned if I can remember what it is though...
Old 24-01-17, 03:10 PM   #80
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

A short walk around Hatfield Forest. We got a bit lost so it ended up as a long walk!