SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-14, 09:27 AM   #1
Foot

Default Cleaning bike/helmet/leathers, what to use?

Hello! I am new here - go easy!

I have made stupid mistakes in the past, worst being on my old GPZ500. I used a castrol bike cleaning fluid on it, left it for about five minutes
and when I came back to clean it off the paint had dulled quite a lot
And my latest stupid stupid mistake, I was a little too rigorous cleaning my pinlock visor insert. I used kitchen roll and cold water and now I have
a bit right in the middle scratched up, nothing too bad but when at traffic lights etc. I notice it and it's damn annoying - just bought the thing! And it's
not like a normal scratch.. because of how close it is it looks like a big bit of grease So after a quick read I should've left it to dry naturally.
Anyway, I'm bound to make another mistake so I would like to know everyone's routine - and what products you use if any.
Or maybe you wait for a rainy day?

How frequently do you wash the really dirty bits on your bike? (Not just cleaning the front or the tank, but bits around the swingarm and of the like)
Chain?
Do you bother with getting your leathers cleaned?
Cleaning your helmet?

Thank you for any replies
Old 09-07-14, 09:51 AM   #2
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: All things clean

Kitchen roll is made of quite rough wood pulp and it's like rubbing sawdust onto soft plastic. I once saw a colleague about to use kitchen roll on the front lens of our expensive work camera which would have ruined it! Same goes for your glasses or sunglasses. Steer clear of loo roll, kitchen paper and tissues. A soft cloth from the opticians is a good idea though.

For the front of your visor I really like the V sponge. No special products required, just a bit of water.

http://v2sponges.com/

Cleaning the bike? Pah, I have a GS, it's meant to look muddy! Aside from the chain if it really needs a clean I give the nephews this stuff and some brushes and a promise of pocket money.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/p...9PwaAtKK8P8HAQ

I have Hideout leathers and this is the stuff they recommend though I'm currently using the Furygan equivalent which I bought from them http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/mot...eather-cleaner
Old 09-07-14, 10:34 AM   #3
Pricey12

Default Re: Cleaning bike/helmet/leathers, what to use?

As for cleaning the bike, I use whatever bike cleaner I have to hand (usually Castrol, but have recently ordered some Muc off). I swear by paraffin for chain cleaning and general decreasing. The best thing for giving leathers a quick clean is baby wipes (seriously!)
Old 09-07-14, 10:41 AM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Clean my bike once a fortnight.
Lots of good shampoo specific for paint and all seam as much as a muchness. Deamon was going cheap last time I bought some.
Don't use a jetwash and force dirt into the bearings and bushes. Jetwashes are good as long as you go sensible with them. I
Old 09-07-14, 11:05 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

low/no caustic TFR and a low pressure jet wash, life's to short.

i use a pump spray with the diluted TFR then a cut in half car sponge to get the nasty stuff off then jet wash down. top tip: if you drop the sponge on the ground throw it straight in the bin then get another one.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 11:09 AM   #6
sniff

On my visor I use a wet sheet of kitchen roll lay it on and leave it for a few minutes. Then clean off with a micro fibre cloth.
bike cleaning I use turtle wax car cleaner with a mitt. Jet washed from about 10 foot away so you don't get any water in where you don't need it. wipe dry with a chammy leather.

Don't bother to clean my leather as it will only get dirty again as soon as I wear them
sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 11:09 AM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

MCN guide is a reasonable starting point http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/ne...ing-your-bike/
But like most things gospel it ant
Leathers I use baby oil oh er missus.
Lid use wet wipes. And lay a wetted one on the visor to free up the bugs finish off the outside with a coat of Rain X. Even on the kbc iridium visor (I did check that it wouldn't react with the coating before doing it to the part you look trough.
Inside use diluted washin up liquid and the cloth that came with my glasses.

Last edited by NTECUK; 09-07-14 at 11:16 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 11:17 AM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: All things clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
Hello! I am new here - go easy!

And my latest stupid stupid mistake, I was a little too rigorous cleaning my pinlock visor insert. I used kitchen roll and cold water and now I have
a bit right in the middle scratched up, nothing too bad but when at traffic lights etc. I notice it and it's damn annoying - just bought the thing! And it's
not like a normal scratch.. because of how close it is it looks like a big bit of grease So after a quick read I should've left it to dry naturally.
Anyway, I'm bound to make another mistake so I would like to know everyone's routine - and what products you use if any.
Or maybe you wait for a rainy day?
I take my visor off and run it under the tap to wash off and loosen any dirt. Then I get a couple of drops off washing up liquid and rub that on the outside of the visor using just my fingers, then rinse the visor. Flick any excess water off & allow to dry.

I've never cleaned the pinlock insert, it shouldn't need to be cleaned? But as above & let it dry off the visor.

Quote:
Cleaning your helmet?
Sorry that's far too personal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Kitchen roll is made of quite rough wood pulp and it's like rubbing sawdust onto soft plastic. I once saw a colleague about to use kitchen roll on the front lens of our expensive work camera which would have ruined it! Same goes for your glasses or sunglasses. Steer clear of loo roll, kitchen paper and tissues. A soft cloth from the opticians is a good idea though.

For the front of your visor I really like the V sponge. No special products required, just a bit of water.

http://v2sponges.com/

]
Yep, kitchen roll is a no no.

V sponges are great, but if you have an Aldi near you, buy some of these sponges. Same material as the V sponge, but only £1.69.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...sponge-pads-1/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 12:04 PM   #9
Foot

V sponge / Aldi's finest it is then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I've never cleaned the pinlock insert, it shouldn't need to be cleaned? But as above & let it dry off the visor.

Quote:
Cleaning your helmet?
Sorry that's far too personal
There was dirt on the insert.. I'm sure there was..
Nothings too personal on here, share your techniques

When cleaning the chain something like paraffin and get down there with an old tooth brush? Do you then need to wash
off the paraffin with water and then wait for it to dry before lubing it again?
Old 09-07-14, 12:10 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
V sponge / Aldi's finest it is then!

There was dirt on the insert.. I'm sure there was..
Nothings too personal on here, share your techniques

When cleaning the chain something like paraffin and get down there with an old tooth brush? Do you then need to wash
off the paraffin with water and then wait for it to dry before lubing it again?
Nah, just wipe it down. You can use WD4 or GT85 to clean the chain, but more expensive than parafin
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote