SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-23, 10:05 AM   #1
embee
Mega Poster

Default DVLA reminder system

https://www.gov.uk/driver-vehicles-account

Don't know if anyone has posted this up, but I saw this link on another forum and thought it might be of interest.

I have just registered, pretty straightforward as most of the DVLA website is, nice and clear as to what to do. You seem need a passport regardless, plus driving licence and vehicle V5C for the details.

I registered several vehicles, some needed to have the V5C reference number entered, some didn't, possibly down to slight differences in the way my address is shown or it might be how long since the vehicle was registered to me and a new V5C issued. Whatever, it all worked well for me.

I recently missed a tax renewal when I hadn't received a reminder by post, fortunately I noticed when taking the vehicle for MOT just a couple of days into the new month. Reminders by email and text will definitely be useful to me.
Old 15-08-23, 09:11 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: DVLA reminder system

well thats a bit discriminatory, i've never had a passport so cant use this public service. typical gov run borlox.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-23, 03:59 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Well you "should" still get paper reminders, though I didn't. If you don't want to use the system then it should be business as usual (for the time being anyway).

There are also plenty of folk who don't have internet access or understanding, so any internet based system will be "discriminatory" in that regard.

As to whether a DVLA system should require a passport number is indeed debatable, and I know others have passed exactly that comment on the feedback forms. I don't really understand why they couldn't simply have used the driving license number, though I guess there will inevitably be someone who has a vehicle registered to them and somehow insured and taxed but they don't have a license, and they will moan about it.

You can check the MOT and tax (VED) status of a vehicle online without the need to register for this system. Check, write it down in your diary, and tax when it's due.
Old 18-08-23, 11:54 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

I'll have to look into that. Just had a 'final reminder' for our lad's car because the tax expired on 1st August, we had not had a postal reminder pre-expiry. Yet we had postal reminders for my bike and our Corsa.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote