SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 04-06-09, 12:19 AM   #121
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Re: How low can you go on a sv

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo View Post
hi i passed my test in feb2009 and am always scraping the foot peg. I don't have chicken strips on my tyres,but am yet to get my knee down.Hopefully soon tho!!!!
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. If you're scraping the pegs a lot as it is then you must be going bloody quick. Try hanging off the bike a bit more and keeping it upright a little more, but i wouldn't get obsessed with trying to get your knee down, especially on the road. Welcome to the org BTW.

Fast learner aswell if you've only passed since February...

Last edited by Binky; 04-06-09 at 12:21 AM.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 12:21 AM   #122
Jamiebridges123

Quote:
hi i passed my test in feb2009 and am always scraping the foot peg. I don't have chicken strips on my tyres,but am yet to get my knee down.Hopefully soon tho!!!!
Couple of tips mate.

1) No-one in their mind should worry about chickenstrips
2) No-one should worry about getting their knee down. It's damn near impossible on the road without pushing stupidly hard (trust me on that.. I hang right off and only got it down on a shell grip roundabout, never NEEDED to)

If you carry on with that mindset you'll end up crashing. I did and I lost £2500 of Z750 when I did so. (+ nightmares 4 months later..) Since then I've stopped riding for chicken strips and lean angle and just take what comes and if someone wants to laugh at my strips, go ahead.

just a piece of friendly of advice mate
Old 04-06-09, 12:51 AM   #123
ThEGr33k

Quote:

I would certainly recommend slowing down a little on the road before the lack of exp and balls out riding lands you in trouble.

Go on the track where it is reasonably safe.
Old 04-06-09, 09:29 AM   #124
John 675

Depends if he thinks road KD's are cool.. Knee should of gone down ages before a peg
Old 04-06-09, 09:35 AM   #125
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Really? I toe and peg but I don't kd
Old 04-06-09, 09:39 AM   #126
Holdup

I get my toe sliders down now ive found it seems to happen if i keep my cornering side leg agaisnt the tank but if i stick my knee out i dont =/
Old 04-06-09, 10:00 AM   #127
flymo
Mega Poster

its all about body position. if you sit up or hang off the wrong side (yeah people do this!) then the bike will touch down very early at a lower speed.

Correct body position lowers the overall center of gravity allowing the bike to be more upright for the same given speed in a corner.....which generally allows a greater speed through the corner.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 10:56 AM   #128
mister c
Mega Poster

I have changed my riding style a lot since I have started doing trackdays, I even tend to hang off the bike on the road now when coming into corners. I still havent, & dont really intend to look at getting my knee down, or worry about chicken strips when on the road. I have only had the knee hit the deck on the track.
Hanging off makes the bike feel more secure to me because it is more upright & if people want to have a pop at my "chicken strips" then good on em........ Carry on
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 11:08 AM   #129
flymo
Mega Poster

the tyre profile has a lot to do with any chickin strips. On some tyres you simply wont get to the edge of the tyre, even on a track.

I run a Diablo Supercorsa medium compound rear tyre on track and there is still a very small strip unused but there is no more lean angle left in the bike thats for sure , not without riding on crash bungs anyway.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote