SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-08, 06:25 PM   #1
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Motorcycle ''Instructor'' Training?

Now then folks- don't all laugh at once and spill your tea down your chin........
Ever since I started the CBT a few years back I've always had an urge to take my training further and go help others get on the road. So I'm not the best rider on here but I have experience in a lot of different ways. I personally feel there aren't enough 'Lady' instructors out there, and lots of ladies get put off by being trained by a bloke( not all of them do, just some).

I have had a full license for over three years maybe four, no points and I'm of an age that puts me as 'mature'!!

Coupled with the fact that i'm getting peed off with my current employment, and Im Indoors finishing Uni in summer- the urge has got rather larger.
A lot of folk have had the pleasant suprise when I have taught them something at work or given advice of various descriptions over the years...

Maybe I should go to Uni as I have the grades required to get in, but to do what? I would prefer to train in something I'm really interested in...

Are there any Instructor types on here that could give me some advice.....and as for you other nice folk- all comments good or bad would be constructive

Ta very much- a really not so very Dizzyblonde- I has been fibbin all along

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 06:52 PM   #2
Jester666

Default Re: Motorcycle ''Instructor'' Training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I'm of an age that puts me as 'mature'!!
You don't look over 50!

**Taxi!**
Old 04-01-08, 07:12 PM   #3
Paws

i can ask one of the girls on mcn ninjas if she would mind me passing on her email addy if you want? shes a instructor and a really nice lass
Old 04-01-08, 07:13 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

cheeky monkey, heres the doorbefore I chase ya wid a big stick!!! I meant over 30 not fifty. A lady never tells anyone her age and yes paws, that would be great

Old 04-01-08, 09:45 PM   #5
BILLY

How about if we guess then And good on you go for it
Old 04-01-08, 10:02 PM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

Been an instructor for about 7 years now. I used to love it, but now I only enjoy the people that "Want to learn". The young 16 year old lads that are there because they have to be wind me up, but hopefully they go away learning something.
I started by going to a training centre and enquiring about becoming an Instructor. He told me to pop along and watch how it was done. I did this & thought that it was for me. I spent the next 3 months at weekends learning the ropes unpaid until I was good enough to become a "downtrained Instructor". This meant I could carry out CBT's on my own and start to get "paid".
After a couple of years I then went to Cardington for the DSA 2 day CBT course, which I passed , so can now train people to be downtrained themselves. The next step is to go to Cardington again for a 1/2 day road ride with an instructor on a larger machine, if passed, you can then train DAS up to test standard.
The biggest drawback with a lot of people that want to be instructors is that they can't convey in words what the student is doing wrong & explaining to them how to put it right, plus you need masses of patience if they continually do it wrong.
Also the road rides can be a headache for the same reason, just remember that you have to be 1 step ahead of the student at all times because you don't have that much control over them other than telling them what you want them to do.
The money isn't fantastic either, we do it for the "love" of it. You may have to go self employed & if you do it full time, this means filling in Tax returns ETC.
Hopefully that will shed a bit of light on it for you. If you want to do it, then go for it girl & good luck (you'll need it )
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 10:17 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

thanks for that misterC.
I think i understand what you mean about the 16 yr olds. I told a lad off tonight, cause he was riding up and down our street with literally no headlights( cause he didn't have any, just wires) I told him he was riding illegally, and reeled off what he was doin wrong, to which I got a hurl of abuse for. However his mates know who I am and I later told them why I had gone to 'advise' him. I said if their mate would like to take a look at my blokes scars from people driving into him in daylight, then it may help him understand why riding with a headlight is so important.

At the moment my job satisfaction is nil. I think I'd prefer teaching 16 yr olds CBT than pulling my teeth out down there. And as I said Im Indoors finishes Uni in summer so I probably may have some career changes ahead anyway.

Old 04-01-08, 11:15 PM   #8
Durbs

Chap at work has just passed his CBT instructor training and he's got a bit less experience than yourself, years wise. Said it was cool but as another poster said, dont think the money is much so mebbe something to start part time instead of launching into, think he said it was around £140 a day so depends on whether you think you could get by on that sort of cash. Looking at the job ads for my own local trainer it seems they want a but more experience for a DAS instructor.
Old 04-01-08, 11:23 PM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I only work part time now, but on nights at weekends, the wage i get is quite good compared to some standards. I'd rather get paid less for something I'd enjoy. Plus i have to think about how it would fit in amongst 'mummy duty'. But I would be on the road a lot more, than I am now, and to be honest it wouldn't bother me rain, freeze or shine. Horses for course, and a lot of careful reading up on pro's n cons. Its not something I would enter into lightly. I never do anything by halves

Old 04-01-08, 11:42 PM   #10
Durbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I'd rather get paid less for something I'd enjoy.
Thats a good philosophy. We're not here for long, why waste your life going out each day sitting and doing something you hate. Think a bike instructor would be a cool way to spend the day so go for it!

The impression i got whilst spending time with my instructor (and he said this as he was recruiting at the time) was that the ability to teach and relate to different types of people was more important than riding ability.