SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 29-07-09, 11:24 AM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default End of July - another Ring trip

Another Weekend – Another Trip to the Ring.

Thursday.

In official circles this was rumoured as trip 2, although there was also a whisper of the number eight. Whatever this trip was it started in Teesside for Bob with a wet run through Yorkshire and the Helmsley TT to Hull, race compound BT002 rubber being the sports touring tyre of choice for this escapade. Back in Clogland the Peugeot was having random biking paraphernalia thrown into the boot, along with a pushbike, and the GSX-R was slung on the trailer.

Friday

I ran the 15 mins out to Europort to watch the delayed ferry slowly approach,

So I headed off to the terminal for a nice instant coffee. MMMmmmm… the second worst coffee of the trip!

So the “Pride of Hull” (one of few good things to come out of Hull, along with one of my ex-girlfriends who was nicely endowed, but I digress) was now docked and it was time to load up the Pug with the Blade, a swift affair run with the kind of precision that would have most unnamed government departments asking for our CVs.

We also saw some idiot with what looked like a shabby Mk2 golf track car on a trailer behind his Chelsea tractor, what looked like the contents of his house and his entire family with him. But he drove by ignoring us, so I’ve no idea who that was? Our good work in the ferry car park wasn’t finished though, the Pug supplied some much needed electrical juice to some returning foot passengers flat Volkswagen, French engineering FTW!

Onto the ever exciting Dutch road network, stopping just before Venlo to fuel up on food dispensed out of a glass cupboard Krokets, Frikandel, Chilliburger, healthy stuff for a Ring weekend.

Rolling along the B258 there were patches of road that had just been recently soaked, but we arrived to a dry Burgstube to unload the bikes, bumping into Bruce who appeared to be loitering without a beard, and of course Martin and Heidi. We then went for a run down to Adenau to refuel, grab some ice coffees and wait for a delayed opening at Breidscheid (no change there then). Finally we were on track, scrubbing in a brand new rear tyre for me, and Bob reacquainting himself with the track.

More laps were had, Bob met some loopers in the car park, and soon started to work out who the Governors were. Bob spied some R1s fitted with cow horns and seemed to like them, I think there’s something wrong with him:

After an unexpected afternoon of good weather and resulting laps it was time to head back to the Burgstube for some well earned beers.

Vision soon started getting blurry:

Bob with a Guinness in disguise:

Cheesing it up for the camera:

Suprisingly Welly popped his head in for a beer too.
Old 29-07-09, 11:25 AM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: End of July - another Ring trip

Saturday

After struggling to meet the 8:30 opening of the track we made it, I managed first vehicle out on track for the second time this year, although cold tyres and a track with the odd damp patch meant a steady lap soaking up the atmosphere of the low lighting and mist rising out of the trees. Still special.

After some morning lapping a spot of car park surveying was carried out, watching the amusing antics of Colonel Car Park and his similarly moustachioed side kick, Captain Car Park. A whistle was even noted! Further covert operations were carried out in avoiding the bog troll, a cunning route through the Devil’s Diner and then down the stairs, we are now wanted for special-ops

Bob managed to get a Pax with Nige and was suitably impressed by how a good car could handle on track, and how late the braking points can be. Nige was suitably impressed with our bog troll avoidance advice.

After more laps, the onset of fatigue, a bit of a rest and then even more laps we ended up in the car park, waiting for the track to dry after a brief shower.

Giving the Suzuki some reverse action loving:

Bob warming to the Blade:

Another shower or two came and went before the track dried out nicely, so off we headed for some final laps for the day, although a closure unfortunately meant an early finish. Lucky for me however, as it was at this stage I noticed my fractured number plate hanger (the only issue I’ve had with the bike and it’s an aftermarket part…), the second time it has gone, but this time the plate was still attached. So back to the Burgstube, a quick beer whilst molesting the hotel cat, before heading out to initiate duck tape repairs.

A couple more beers and some food left us fully fatigued so it was an early finish.
Old 29-07-09, 11:26 AM   #3
Tim in Belgium

Sunday

We made the track just after opening, Welly was jealous of our suerbly timed arrival, mere seconds after the barriers raised for the day, he was unable to helmet and glove up in time to join us. We did some good tandem laps, Bob’s lines and smoothness were improving nicely. Welly and I then did a couple of laps, no emergency stopping this time, although road pressures resulted in Welly having an interesting bit of high side action, and some of my ham fisted throttle action lead to a squirm or two.

It was then back to clear up the organised chaos and chuck it in the car.

It was then more laps with Bob, one being super eventful, two yellow flags before Miss Hit Miss, a Porsche GT something clunking the wall in front of us at Wehrseifen, coolant and bikes down on the exit of Pflantzgarten 1, Bob kept his cool though with nice lines and a confident return to speed after each incident..

A long closure followed, we headed down to Adenau to the sport bar for some more iced coffees and to pass the time.

My Duck tape repair was holding up nicely.

It was then an afternoon with quite a lot of traffic on track, so it was time for a little knee down and waving show boating at Brunchen, although I can’t find a single photo on the internet of it, so you’ll just have to not believe me. I came across an interesting yellow Skyliner on track, for some reason he was belching colour matched smoke at random times, must be a new Skyline thing, anyone know where I can get some black smoke additive for the GSX-R?

The track quietened down nicely for some afternoon and late evening laps, Bob Bobbleton securing himself a new PB, even after being held up by someone blind person on a 90 mph Ducati through the foxhole. I had the envy of following the Yamaha GTS rider up Kesselchen, an obvious first timer, weaving all over the road, sitting on the wrong side waiting for overtakes, he was getting royally hassled by some agitated cars, looking through Ross’ pictures it appears that he stopped for a rest at Brunchen.

With the track closing we headed back to the Burgstube:

And loaded up the bikes, pretty snug:

Just checking they were secure:

It was then a quick farewell and on to the road, unfortunately after stopping at 3 dutch service stations it was clear they had no more than Krokets and Gehaktstafs left, so the return service station cuisine was a little below par, and the 50c coffee was almost foul, although Bob managed to secure some all important curry Ketchup for future missions and emergency supplies:

Return to my house was gone midnight, and after the bikes had been unloaded and some customary beers drunk it was reaching the early hours.

Monday

Bob managed to scam a day at work at our offices in Rotterdam, so left for the evening ferry for a well earned supper:

Although I’m unsure what he’s drinking

Tuesday

Helmsley TT for Bob all the way home, back to work after lunch.

A great weekend with lots of laps, some great weather, on and off track amusement, enough beer, great hospitality, lots of petrol station visits, oil for the Honda, Duck tape for the Suzuki, Golf rides, crashing 911s, Krokets, Schnitzels, Curry Ketchup, Governors, Colonel and Captain Car Park.

That’s Numberwang
Old 29-07-09, 11:49 AM   #4
plowsie

Curry Ketchup - 'mmmmmmmmm'

Good photos and write up as usual. You lucky Devil.
Old 29-07-09, 01:02 PM   #5
bob bobbleton

Excellent write up Tim.
Key moments captured nicely.

Therefore in bobble-esque style, I thus confirm Trip2 status as COMPLETED/40 LAPS

Bob Bobbleton is preparing the Blade, and the new baby in the house - HRC's Finest SP-1 for Croft on Friday, weather looking good thus far.

The ratbike (Your old SV is awaiting a wet weather call up should the two litre machines duck out)

Mission "TRIP3" Now moved to status active. Ferry tickets booked. Tyre strategy for Blade worked out. SP1 to be measured to see if its 2001 backside will fit on the trailer for some "Noise ban" action hastily followed by "Baffles in" action no doubt in the mythical car park of the Nordschleife.

Operation "CRANER CURVES" being worked on for a visit to Donnington park pre "TRIP3"

Bobby "3 bikes" Bobbleton
God bless motorcycles
Old 30-07-09, 01:56 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Curry Ketchup - 'mmmmmmmmm'

Good photos and write up as usual. You lucky Devil.
Yep, food and coffee seems to be quite important on these trips, you always know the biking and beer is going to be fine !
Old 30-07-09, 03:05 PM   #7
Daimo

Superb write up Tim. That actually makes me want to take a bike to the ring.....

But I wont
Old 30-07-09, 03:30 PM   #8
glsuk1970

Excellent write up and piccies, cheers!
Old 30-07-09, 05:30 PM   #9
Speedy Claire

Fantastic pics and I really enjoyed that write up... brilliant.

I`m not at all jealous

Honestly I`m not

Old 03-08-09, 05:55 PM   #10
bob bobbleton

All cleaned up.
Post croft.

HRC's yesteryear champion lookin on, wondering, will Daddy take me to the Nordschleife for Trip 3 ?

Who knows, maybe the HRC twin wont fit on the the trailer !!

Bobby B

Last edited by bob bobbleton; 03-08-09 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Wrong link