SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-01-11, 11:34 AM   #1
nikon70

Default To Lock or Not To Lock? That is the Question

Currently I use a Master chain with links about 10mm and a built in lock.

There is no room under the rear seat to carry it so I have to use either a rucksack or a top box either I would rather not use...

so... when I leave it at work...

do I leave it unlocked, as the sv is not the most saught after bike and hope for the best...

or do i continue to lock it with the chain and use to top box...

or should i use this oxford patriot ???

submit your answers on the back of a post card in 50 words or less to, PO Box Please don't Steal My Bike
Old 26-01-11, 11:38 AM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: To Lock or Not To Lock That is the Question

If someone wants to take the bike, they will take it even if its locked.

But the general idea is that if its locked to something, it stops opertuinists and makes your bike less of an easy target.

Drive by pikeys love unlocked bikes as they are easy to lift into a van in seconds
Old 26-01-11, 11:38 AM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Use a disc lock and the chain too, just make your bike harder to steal than the next one.

For the chain wind it around the grab rail or get a cargo net to stick it to the seat, easy.
Old 26-01-11, 03:23 PM   #4
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Use a disc lock and the chain too, just make your bike harder to steal than the next one.

For the chain wind it around the grab rail or get a cargo net to stick it to the seat, easy.
+1,
at least use a disc lock if its parked on a public highway/open carpark

oh and make sure you park next to a bike that isnt using any security, then if its a choice the scummys will choose the easier lift and leave yours alone.
Old 26-01-11, 05:22 PM   #5
Juju

Or buy a Triumph Rocket 3, which is so heavy no pikey will be able to lift it, and if they did, will fall through the rusty floor of the transit they just nicked to steal your bike with.

Seriosuly, is a heavy chain not attached to anything much less of a risk than a bike with no chain at all, if lifting into a van is a consideration?
Old 26-01-11, 09:00 PM   #6
Ruffy

Buy a second lock and leave it at work. (Assuming you park in roughly the same place each day, leave it fastened to the nearest railings - or is it too public?) That way you don't have to travel with a lock.

What's wrong with a small topbox anyway? For commuting there's little better!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-11, 09:09 PM   #7
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Buy a second lock and leave it at work. (Assuming you park in roughly the same place each day, leave it fastened to the nearest railings - or is it too public?) That way you don't have to travel with a lock.
+1

and if it's a work car park ask about work chipping in to secure it, if you don't ask you don't get
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-11, 09:49 PM   #8
appollo1
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post

What's wrong with a small topbox anyway? For commuting there's little better!

i have heard in the past that opportunist scum could notice the bike there and the lock being left overnight. They then disable the lock by putting glue or something else in the key part of the lock so when you arrive at work to lock up your bike you can't. You then have to leave your bike sitting all day unlocked.

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-11, 10:03 PM   #9
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by appollo1 View Post
i have heard in the past that opportunist scum could notice the bike there and the lock being left overnight. They then disable the lock by putting glue or something else in the key part of the lock so when you arrive at work to lock up your bike you can't. You then have to leave your bike sitting all day unlocked.

Then leave it at work if it's near enough to where you park.
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-11, 11:42 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by appollo1 View Post
I've heard of this, but if they're that serious they'd cut it, and if not they'd go and nick an easier target.