SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-15, 08:20 AM   #1
Mr Mouse

Cool Remus can

I have just got a 1999 curvy, my 1st Jap bike in 30 years. Having been into Brit bikes & 70's Italian bikes, but after borrowing one for a 180 mile ride in Scotland last August I was hooked. It came with an unfitted Remus can, my question is if I fit it will I need to change the jetting in the carbs or not ?

Cheers, Mr mouse.
Mr Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 09:45 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Remus can

Hi, the general feeling is that a slip-on can won't require rejetting (especially if you leave the airbox & filter as standard) but a full aftermarket system would benefit from rejetting / rolling road set-up.

I got a 650K6 last month after nearly 20 years of classic Jap 2-strokes, am absolutely loving it ... especially not having to fettle it constantly
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 02:54 PM   #3
Mr Mouse

Smile Re: Remus can

Yeah I'm loving it too, did 650 miles in Scotland on mine around 3 weeks ago & was averaging 64mpg. Just got 182 miles out of the last tank before the low fuel light started flashing, with 202 miles on the trip when I filled it up this morning. Last thing i had that would get 200+ miles to a tankfull was my old R80/7 Beemer !
Old 09-07-15, 06:16 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

the interesting thing about remus cans is some are slightly heavier than most aftermarket fitments, this is because rather than a vented tube with baffling material (as a standard "race can" would be) they don't require re-packing using baffle plates instead, I personally like the build quality and finish and the fact it's very much "fit & forget".
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 07:53 PM   #5
Alexander94

If the current exhaust is completely original you'll have to cut it and put a link pipe between it and the can, if not you should just be able to unholy the old one and bolt the Remus on.
I had a remus can on my old ZXR400 and it was AMAZING! That bike with that exhaust was a match made in heaven, one of the best sounding combinations I've heard
Old 10-07-15, 08:38 AM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Mouse you can probably fit it and just go with it but it will run lean to some degree (hard to say but maybe not too bad with stock air filter) but may be liveable. You won't get any power advantage without dyno set up though, just more noise.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 11:07 AM   #7
Mr Mouse

Cool Re: Remus can

Thanks for the replies Guy's, the can came with the bike but hadn't been fitted yet. At present the bike has the standard Suzuki fully welded up 1 piece system, its very quiet 7 being used to Brit & Italian bikes I do like a little more exhaust noise ! Not really fussed about any more power, but want it to run right not lean. A mate of mine has a bike shop so I do have access to a dyno, him that is not me you understand.
Old 10-07-15, 06:25 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Some cans make no real difference, and to be honest, a full system is nice but only adds a little extra - it's hardly the difference between whether rejetting is required or not. The only way to find out is a dyno run, and ideally with one done already with the stock exhaust for comparison. If you do need to rejet then you may as well get a K&N/BMC/Pipercross/whatever filter and do the whole deal.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 08:58 PM   #9
Bod51

I have a Blue Flame trioval on a full stainless steel pipe set a k1 sv650s. It has a great sound or at least it did until a backfire blew a 3inch hole in it. lol. Now looking for a new back box. All suggestions welcome.
Bod51 is offline   Reply With Quote