SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-06, 06:59 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Blue (yella) instructor

I have applied to be an instructor with focused.

I am looking for something new to make my tracktime more exciting, I have enjoyed filming people (my trackday friends) and analysing what they are doing and consequently giving advice when asked.

Focused do look at their instructor staffing over the winter, so if I was taken up then it’d be for 2007 now. So if anyone fancies being my instructor ginnipig at Silverstone next week http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.ph...278&highlight= then let me know, I’d be interested to know if I would actually ‘cut it’ as an instructor. It is one thing to be able to ride yourself, but to be able to analyse someone else and disseminate the information in a way people can assimilate it is something else!!

There are obviously proper instructors there for the real thing if that is what you are after, but would anyone be interested in my unprofessional instructing? You would be helping me, but hopefully I could help you too???
Old 26-09-06, 07:07 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Would if i could but i would prolly crash again + monies are not a strong point at the mo.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-06, 07:13 PM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Would if i could but i would prolly crash again + monies are not a strong point at the mo.
Ok, lets start with some textual instructing ….

TSM, I saw you ride at Lydden, you are a confident rider and there is no reason for you to crash. I think your crash was simply a ‘run-on’ type crash (if I remember rightly??), these are probably the most common sort of crash and can be avoided with a little mental training.

First of all if you push the boundaries a bit then you are eventually going to find you might ‘over cook it’ a bit. In these circumstances it is important not to brick it. Chances are that you could make the corner if you tried. So thing to do is to try and settle the bike a bit, probably back off the brakes a little and look at the corner where you want to be going, don’t focus on where your mistake has got you heading. Once the bike has settled a little just turn it in, 9 times out of 10 the bike will make it. And the 10th time at least it will end in a lowside, the most comfortable for you and least damaging crash for the bike!!

Once you do this once and get away with it, then chances are you will be cured, no more silly crashing where you bricked it!! … I’ll dig out some video where I over cook it and then just turn it in as an example … back in a bit

p.s. is that understandable/make sense so far?
Old 26-09-06, 07:17 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I totaly agree, i just stuffed that corner up and did not even go to turn it in even though my speed was way slower than my normal entry speed for that corner.

I have somtimes entered a corner with the back getting realy out of shape, i realy am not comfortable keeping the power on through the corner when that happens.

I have on occations realy suffed a corner up but knowing that i would be in real danger i have chucked the biked in and done the corner.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-06, 07:22 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Ok, here's one!

I'm a new rider. My SV is my first big big, having never ridden anything more powerfull than the riding school's CG125's. I'm not concerned about power - thats something i can have less of by not opening the throttle so much.

But how do I conduct myself when approaching a corner (under braking), turning into the corner, and safley accelerating away from the corner, given that what im riding is physicaly larger and heavier than anthing i have ridden before?

I don't really want to bin it on my first big ride - but i do want to enjoy, for myself, the roads my dad took me down when i was a regular pillion on his GSXR!

A good theoretical peice of advice would help, so I can make good machine control progress fast!

Matt
Old 26-09-06, 07:23 PM   #6
thor

Erm, yeah! Some tips would be great, as this is only my second track day.
Old 26-09-06, 07:34 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Ok, you eventually want to be braking right to the apex and just as you are about let of the bakes, you want to be feeding in the power, this then transfers the weight steadily and then allows you to power out. But this is what you are ultimately aiming for. Best to break it down into chunks!!

So first off braking.

Approach the corner, looking at where you want to apex, generally speaking this will be ˝ way round the corner (generally speaking). If you are taking a right hander you want to be on the left hand side of the track. No need to steam in first off, but you do need a bit of speed else you will have stopped b4 you reach the corner!!! You want to modulate the braking force such that when you tip it in you are almost off the brakes (again as a starter). What you are trying to avoid is any sharp movement, having the brakes on hard then releasing instantly will make the front end jump up and unsettle the bike. Just try this, brake … let off slowly, then turn in, you can feather the brakes at the start of the turn in, but you want to be 90% off (as a starter). Pick your line, apex, then as the bike starts straightning up, feed in a little power, short shift here if you can.#

Do this over and over, leaving the braking later and later until you are making a smooth arc. Far too often people overbrake and end up having to re-apply the power before the corner, or the bike is going at walking pace and starts to want to ‘falls over’ making it a 50p piece corner …

Making any sense to start?
Old 26-09-06, 07:35 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Erm, yeah! Some tips would be great, as this is only my second track day.
your goig right??? What group u in??? we went in inters
Old 26-09-06, 07:39 PM   #9
thor

beginners - still havn't got my confirm email though...
Old 26-09-06, 07:46 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Ok here’s my example of my fudge up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p6qxP67u9U

Basically I got the back end all squirmy (doesn’t look that much in the vid, but that was a fair old snake!! ), a few people might have bricked it at that point and run on, but I let off the brakes a little, to let the bike settle, then turned in anyway, I totally missed the apex, but just used the rest of the track … overall no drama!!

thor - I can watch from the sideline, but my useful ness will be limited. If your confidence grows in the day then see if you can move to inters. Silverstone is such a big track you won’t really get in the way of faster riders