SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-02-08, 02:11 PM   #1
DanDare

Unhappy Moral Dilemma -Need Help

Guys from my watch at the station are planning a weeks riding around the UK. Details of route I'll post soon as will need some input from orgers in the north and west for proposed good routes.

Anyway, we leave a Sunday in July for a week. Beginning Salisbury and heading through South Wales to Aberyswyth for first night.

Trouble is me and missus have said we would go to a christening in Yorkshire that Sunday. Now I could go , come back and meet up with the guys a day behind, but will lose a days good riding through South Wales.

What bullet proof excuse can I give not to go the Christening ( excpet for the trip )? And am I tight for doing this as its just maybe the last time I get to do this. The christening will be for one morning full of people we dont know and might not be missed. Its a long way to go just for a day.

And lets face it the kid ain't gonna know.

Help!
Old 08-02-08, 02:15 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Moral Dilemma -Need Help

Christenings are boring, if it isnt direct family then I dont see this as a moral dilema. If your not there for the start of the trip then its never the same.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 02:20 PM   #3
Baph

I wouldn't go to the christening either, possible reasons:

1) You need to relieve some stress brought on by the mix of life/work.
2) You're directly opposed to any form of organised religion, and see it all as a farce.
3) You don't see any reason why washing babies will make them taste any better.
4) One proposed by a work collegue of mine (and yes, we're bored)... You can't go because you have a bone in your leg.
5) You've just got new tyres on the bike and you need to bed them in before you start commuting.
6) You've just changed the oil on the bike, and the engine needs running in again before the seals leak.
7) You've heard it's unlucky to be inside a church unless it's snowing AND there's a force 10 gale.
8 ) You can't be ar*ed going anywhere that 90% of the people will not know you, and never remember you should you meet them again.
9) You want to ride your bike, and that's a higher priority to you than someone else's kids bath in "special water" (note, I'm not implying it will be yellow).
Old 08-02-08, 02:25 PM   #4
DanDare

Baph, your my new hero!
Old 08-02-08, 02:28 PM   #5
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
6) You've just changed the oil on the bike, and the engine needs running in again before the seals leak.

fantastic excuse.
Old 08-02-08, 02:33 PM   #6
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
Anyway, we leave a Sunday in July for a week. Beginning Salisbury and heading through South Wales to Aberyswyth for first night.
Aberystwyth!

Are you going to be playing a major part in this christening e.g godfather? Then there could be a problem

Quote:
The christening will be for one morning full of people we dont know and might not be missed. Its a long way to go just for a day.

And lets face it the kid ain't gonna know.
You said it. And I think Baph's excuse about the tyres needing wearing in is a convincing one
Old 08-02-08, 02:40 PM   #7
Tiger 55

I hope you're asking this on godbotherers.org as well, so as not to get a biased opinion...
Old 08-02-08, 02:49 PM   #8
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
I hope you're asking this on godbotherers.org as well, so as not to get a biased opinion...
I did actually and said the same as you guy's.

Irony is the parents aren't even religious, its just a gimmick IMO.

Think I'm gonna be honest and say I'd rather play with my mates that waste a few hours watching some farcical aquatic ceremony!
Old 08-02-08, 02:56 PM   #9
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
farcical aquatic ceremony!
LMFAO, that is an awsome way of describing it I will remember that
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 02:58 PM   #10
Ed

Unless it's close family or very good friends I'd opt out of the christening. You won't see anything anyway as you'll be parked at the back, you probably won't know anyone so you'll feel embarrassed and have to make polite small talk whilst wishing you were both at home, you still have to buy a present, it'll cost a fortune to go for the weekend, and all for what? There were a pile of peeps at daughter's christening who I wish hadn't showed up, we asked them more because we felt obliged than because we wanted them.

Do the ride, it'll be much more fun. You should do as you please, not feel some sort of loyalty to people who probably won't care less whether you're there or not.

Edit - and because it's in Yorkshire it's bound to be raining.