SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Gloves Post your own reviews on Gloves here

Old 16-11-06, 10:19 PM   #1
jramon

Default Jet Road versus Tech Road

Hi everybody, as I'm new in this forum. Sorry for my English, but I write from Spain.

I've reading your messages about winter gloves, as I'm about to buy ones. I am in doubt between Alpinestar Jet Road and Tech Road; the first one seems to be warmer and the the other has more feeling, according with your posts, but I don't know how much, and if it is possible to use the Tech Road in winter or up to which temperature.

I'm looking for a pair of gloves that protect me from cold and water, and that have a good armour, as I only have a pair of hands.

As several of you are using these gloves, I'd like to know your experiences.

Thanks
Old 18-11-06, 01:34 PM   #2
Law

Disclaimer: my hands never seem to stay warm ever and get cold easily.

I have Jet Roads, others have said they're warm too warm for summer, but I tend to wear them all year round and on coldish dry days (anything under 5°C) my hands start to get a bit cold from windchill. They are waterproof and got a best winter glove award from Ride magazine. Tech roads came 2nd.
Old 19-11-06, 11:27 AM   #3
jramon

Thanks for your your answer.

Well, I won't be able to wear a Jet Road all year round; actually, I found them yesterday in a shop and it seemed a bit too warm, but the cold days haven't come yet.

I liked them; my only doubts are about the feeling, as they are thick, and the armour.

By the way, I found yesterday other waterproff gloves, that I also liked a lot, the Sport Composite H2O Out. They are not properly a winter gloves, and they aren't too much warm, as they have very little thermal lining, but in the other apects, as feeling and armour, they are great.

I'm trying to insert an image, but I don't know how to do it; I'll try later.
Old 19-11-06, 12:42 PM   #4
Jelster

I use "Tech Road" all winter, combined with heated grips if necessary. Tech do give better feel, not as much as a summer sports glove, but not that clumsy vague feeling of thick winter gloves. They have got wet, in fact very very wet, and my hands stayed dry. Personally they are the best winter glove I have ever used.

Just a little bit about cold hands; I know this may sound very simplistic, but try and get your hands as warm as possible before you set off. I have even gone to the extent of using hand dryers in the toilets, or running them under warm-medium water then dry them off with a towl. The warmer you hands are before you start, the less work your gloves have to do. Like I said, very simplistic, but it works...

Old 19-11-06, 06:17 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

theres this exact comparison in this months bike magazine
Old 19-11-06, 10:20 PM   #6
jramon

Good advice to keep your hands warm; when you think about it you realize that is true.

I'm much interested in the comparison, and I've been looking for the article in Bike, but I haven't been able to find it as there is not an index on the web. I can't either get it, as the magazine is not on sale in Spain, and the only way is a one year suscripcion.

Could anyone tell me how to get it, or be so kind to spare a scanned copy of the article, or write down a summary of its conclusions?
Old 23-11-06, 01:54 AM   #7
jramon

Finally, after your advice, I've change my mind a little and thought that I prefer a glove with more feeling although I lost a bit of warm. If needed, I'll used hot grips or something so, as you said.

So I've gone for Tech Road but (always a but) I also got, to return one of them, a pair of Spidi Sport Composite H2O Out, completely in leather and very nice. So I am now in a different mess, between this two gloves.

The Spidi are in the following link, as I'm not able to get the image posted:

http://www.spidi.it/spidi-jsp/index....SPORTCOMPOSITE H2OUT

Really, both of them are pretty comfortable; the Spidi seems to have more protection, and to be a little warmer. But the Alpinestar are really impressive.

Sorry it's not possible to post a pic of both them, so you could see the gloves. And, although I'm not allowed to use them on my bike until I had decided which pair I'm going to keep, I'll try to write down my opinions in that limited circumstances.

By the way, if any of you has some information about Spidi Sport Composite H2O Out, I'll thank him to share it. And if these gloves were tested in the review in Bike magazine, I'd ask you to write which position they got, and its pros and cons.

Regards.