SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-06, 08:22 PM   #1
Demonz

Default Weekend Trip Heading South from London

Hi Guys - just wondering if anyone can recommend a route heading South. I have never been past Portsmouth but I have a couple of free pass weekends away later in July and I thought I would use one and head into the deep South.

I have heard that St Ives is a nice seaside town so I thought I could head down to here (or aim for here at least). I will leave Friday afternoon and back Sunday evening. Any recommendations on Routes and roads to travel would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
G

Old 19-06-06, 12:50 PM   #2
caz650s

Default Re: Weekend Trip Heading South from London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta
Hi Guys - just wondering if anyone can recommend a route heading South. I have never been past Portsmouth but I have a couple of free pass weekends away later in July and I thought I would use one and head into the deep South.

I have heard that St Ives is a nice seaside town so I thought I could head down to here (or aim for here at least). I will leave Friday afternoon and back Sunday evening. Any recommendations on Routes and roads to travel would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
G
Hi,
St. Ives is really nice but if you stick to the A30 its a bit boring ,You need to get up onto the north coast (atlantic Highway)
If you come off the A30 around Oakhampton and head for BUDE and pick up A39 down to NEWQUAY and then a quick blat down A30 or a better bet stick to the coast road down to St.Ives .
Go for it you wont be disapointed
Caz

Old 19-06-06, 02:07 PM   #3
anna
Mega Poster

caz650s... my sister lives down in Newton Abbott next time i'm down I'll give you a shout and see if you fancy showing me some of those nice roads.. or alternatively go to the pub!!!
Old 19-06-06, 02:27 PM   #4
caz650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna
caz650s... my sister lives down in Newton Abbott next time i'm down I'll give you a shout and see if you fancy showing me some of those nice roads.. or alternatively go to the pub!!!
Hi Anna,
Both options sound fine !
Looks like you might be at AR06 ?
Cheers for now
Caz

Old 20-06-06, 11:32 AM   #5
tee jey

Gmonsta, check you PMs

Old 20-06-06, 01:15 PM   #6
Banjo

You've got to do the A272 but just be careful, there was a fatal RTA on Saturday.

Old 20-06-06, 01:24 PM   #7
thor

Sounds like you want to go south-WEST.

By far the best way to get to Exeter and beyond is the M3->A303->A30->A303 to Exeter, and then take the b road from exeter over Dartmoor via Mortenhampsted to Plymouth. From there you're on your own but that is definitely the best biking route to Plymouth.

The A30 is waaaaaay better than the A303.

Dartmoor is stunning on a good day. Very twisty sections with excellent visibilty due to the exposed nature of the area. That particular road has been resurfaced recently so an excellent ride. Just don't get stuck there is bad weather or at night.

Cornwall. Never riden there but I've been to a few places. It's got some lovely coastal areas and seaside towns. I imagine there is some excellent green laning to be had though.

Old 21-06-06, 01:25 PM   #8
Demonz

Aye - South West it is! thanks for the tips Thor. Dartmoor sounds like its worth a visit. Dont get stuck at night? Sounds a little scary as well...

Old 21-06-06, 02:27 PM   #9
thor

No worries. Yeah Dartmoor is ace. On the exposed sections I must have averaged 50mph which is pretty sweet considering it's a really hilly area!

Old 21-06-06, 02:53 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Fun roads in devon

A39 Bridgewater via porlock hill - Blackmoor Gate then the A399 into Woolacombe via Morthole (Lunch at the Red barn)
A396 Tiverton to minehead

You could just ride those two roads back n forth,Much fun to be had i can tell ya.
Closed Thread