SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-05-21, 01:03 PM   #9661
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I had BSA that was positive earth, not 100% sure of the reason why it was wired that way tbh, I was once told that super tankers were wired positive earth in order to keep crustaceans/ barnacles to a minimum from sticking to the Hull!
Don't know if it's true and never felt the need to look it up but interesting theory. Perhaps BSA thought it might keep the rust at bay! ... clearly didn't work.

They did find that vehicles where the positive battery terminal was earthed to the body that vehicles rusted a lot more, so that is the reason given for changing the grounding to the negative of battery to bodywork. Electrons flow from negative to positive while conventional flow is nominated as from positive to negative ( they originally thought positive ions were responsible for electrical flow, and they did flow from positive to negative ) ,in electrical flow the ions don't move, it is the holes the electrons leave behind in valency band when they move that flow from positive to negative - maybe with positive earthed the 'holes' flowed into the vehicle bodywork

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 27-05-21 at 08:06 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-21, 11:14 PM   #9662
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if everyone changed the name Ground to Common (COM) in when referring to DC then we would all get along better. we can keep the word Earth in AC.

vehicle chassis connections be it positive or negative are just an extension of the battery terminal they are connected to not an earth or a ground. they are a common that is used as a 'tie point' to supply voltage easier.
You're correct about vehicle systems not being technically "earthed" or "grounded". However, I don't know why you seem fixated on AC and DC systems being fundamentally different when it comes to tieing to the reference of Earth.

An AC common (often the "Neutral") might be earthed/grounded or it might not. Both can function perfectly well, especially in multi-phase systems. (An alternator output on a modern car/bike is a 3-phase AC example that works without earthing.)

Also, in non-vehicle DC it is quite normal to electrically connect one pole to Earth, for safety or EMC reasons. In that circumstance I think it would be correct to refer to it as earth/ground as well as common.

At the risk of confusing things, some systems have centre tap. E.g. an industrial 110V supply is actually +/-55V with a centre-tap earth connection in the interests of safety. The only DC-based example I can think of off the top of my head is an audio amplifier circuit - not my area of expertise but I imagine the centre 'common' connection of XLR balanced connections are actually earthed/grounded in some way too.

Your underlying original gripe is valid and shared though: Earth/Ground/Common are being treated as synonymous when they're not!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 08:01 AM   #9663
Seeker
Mega Poster

Our local weather forecast:
"It will start out grey but then become sunny".

Actual:
"It started out sunny and has now become grey".

Old 27-05-21, 08:04 AM   #9664
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
You're correct about vehicle systems not being technically "earthed" or "grounded". However, I don't know why you seem fixated on AC and DC systems being fundamentally different when it comes to tieing to the reference of Earth.

An AC common (often the "Neutral") might be earthed/grounded or it might not. Both can function perfectly well, especially in multi-phase systems. (An alternator output on a modern car/bike is a 3-phase AC example that works without earthing.)

Also, in non-vehicle DC it is quite normal to electrically connect one pole to Earth, for safety or EMC reasons. In that circumstance I think it would be correct to refer to it as earth/ground as well as common.

At the risk of confusing things, some systems have centre tap. E.g. an industrial 110V supply is actually +/-55V with a centre-tap earth connection in the interests of safety. The only DC-based example I can think of off the top of my head is an audio amplifier circuit - not my area of expertise but I imagine the centre 'common' connection of XLR balanced connections are actually earthed/grounded in some way too.

Your underlying original gripe is valid and shared though: Earth/Ground/Common are being treated as synonymous when they're not!
The best phrase I ever heard was 'don't sweat the small stuff' ...... and all this 'is it ground, common or earth' means nothing to 90% of the population who are not electrical designers or research scientists... many words and phrases creep into our wonderful language and take root, and become commonly accepted and well understood - and pretty harmless really - if you say to many 'lay' people 'check the voltage from point 'A' to earth or ground they will check it to body or frame of vehicle, they won't drive a copper stake into the ground next to vehicle and use that.

This gripe goes into 'room 101'....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 05:38 PM   #9665
daktulos

Insurance! A year's extra NCB, and a year's worth of depreciation, but the insurance has gone up by £70. Time to shop around again.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 09:18 PM   #9666
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The best phrase I ever heard was 'don't sweat the small stuff' ...... and all this 'is it ground, common or earth' means nothing to 90% of the population who are not electrical designers or research scientists... many words and phrases creep into our wonderful language and take root, and become commonly accepted and well understood - and pretty harmless really - if you say to many 'lay' people 'check the voltage from point 'A' to earth or ground they will check it to body or frame of vehicle, they won't drive a copper stake into the ground next to vehicle and use that.

Lol, made me chuckle!
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-21, 07:54 AM   #9667
timwilky
Mega Poster

Replacement doorbell arrived yesterday. Restores faith in ebayers, Now she needs to go bck to her supplier.
Old 28-05-21, 10:49 AM   #9668
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Buying a laptop battery week 5

It must be me. I assumed that when I placed an order for a battery for a Lenovo 330S-15ARR, that is what I'd get. Well, I got a battery that is the right shape and it fits but when I start researching it's actually for a Lenovo Yoga xxx. It's the wrong voltage and double the power (which would have been nice). On further investigation, Lenovo don't list any upgraded batteries for the 330S. If I can find this out why can't the seller?
They've now offered to send me another battery (of the same type they previously sent) and I can keep the first one (instead of an RMA, I assume). I suppose if this continues long enough I'll be able to start selling them myself. I pointed out the futility of this and that I'd need a direct replacement not one the right shape. I suspect a refund will not be forthcoming, Chinese companies don't seem to like refunds in my experience.
Watch this space...

It might be easier to buy a new laptop.
Still going...the laptop battery story, still on week 5.

I explained all the above to them and gave them the part number on my original battery and received an email saying: "We're sorry you ordered the wrong battery".

This annoyed me, so I went back to their website, put in my laptop's details and it, again, showed me the battery they'd originally sent, ie the wrong one.
I took a screen grab and forwarded it on to them. They didn't comment but are sending me the proper battery. Should arrive about 8 weeks after I first ordered it.

Meanwhile, I ordered a new laptop today (not a Lenovo). I'll donate the Lenovo to a school (with new battery).
Old 28-05-21, 01:56 PM   #9669
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

Wasn't my gripe originally, so you need to refer back to Bibio. But if others' are going to "sweat the small stuff", as you put it, then I like to help them to be accurate!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-21, 12:46 PM   #9670
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Insurance! A year's extra NCB, and a year's worth of depreciation, but the insurance has gone up by £70. Time to shop around again.
An extra paltry £70!
Check this one out. Bought my youngest a pile of Chinese 125cc (bought him a car, he is learning, won’t get a test until next year I doubt) and run a quote through MCN website.
RAC came back the cheapest (£542 third party, can buy a new Chinese bike cheaper then fully comp insurance price)
I phoned them, to add me as a named rider, over 20 years riding experience and no claims the quote goes UP £300.

Insurance for my Tiger 800 is £80 a year fully comp (could have got it for £66 if moved insurance)
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote