SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-08-06, 01:08 PM   #1
rwoodcock01

Default Quick one for the fellow IT guy's and girl's

Got a user that's forgotten there password to a Excel file, anyone got a usefull tool to break/workout the password?

Cheers

Rich
Old 30-08-06, 01:12 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quick one for the fellow IT guy's and girl's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodcock01
Got a user that's forgotten there password to a Excel file, anyone got a usefull tool to break/workout the password?

Cheers

Rich
This claims to do it - and its free.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-06, 10:28 AM   #3
grecian9

http://www.elkraft.ntnu.no/~huse/xlpassword.htm
Old 31-08-06, 10:29 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Tell them you have no sympathy, if they must use password protection it is their reponsibility to manage their password.
Old 31-08-06, 10:33 AM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Tell them you have no sympathy, if they must use password protection it is their reponsibility to manage their password.
Like wise, if not, there are lots of password crackers for Excel. You get what you pay for though and they can be a useful tool in the armoury against general idiots.
Old 31-08-06, 02:21 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Like wise, if not, there are lots of password crackers for Excel. You get what you pay for though and they can be a useful tool in the armoury against general idiots.
Agreed. Fsck them. They passworded it, they can write the document again. T'is the way I treat our internal users and also our clients (although I word things nicer to clients)
Old 31-08-06, 03:24 PM   #7
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Agreed. Fsck them. They passworded it, they can write the document again. T'is the way I treat our internal users and also our clients (although I word things nicer to clients)
I used to have a similar problem with unhelpful IT staff who thought that they were there to sit around and generally rule the roost, and one day I'd had enough and told them that I was profit and they were overhead.

I didn't have any more problems after that.
Old 31-08-06, 03:48 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:
I used to have a similar problem with unhelpful IT staff who thought that they were there to sit around and generally rule the roost, and one day I'd had enough and told them that I was profit and they were overhead.

Sorry Ed but I have no sympathy for people that password protect documents kept (and backed up) in a "secure" environment when they have no justifiable need to secure individual documents.

I'll quite happily (and have done so today) spend 4hours looking at an issue only to find that there's nothing wrong with our systems and that it was a PEBKAC error. Staff/clients might not like the response they get in a situation like that, but even then, where an issue NEEDS fixing, I fix it. If it doesn't need it, I don't.

P.S. I am also profit for the company, as anything marked as "No Fault Found" or "User Education" is a chargable event to all our clients.

Edit: My boss, his boss, and his boss thereafter (company chairman) also take my view. PEBKAC errors can be resolved by the person causing them unless it's mission critical.
Old 31-08-06, 03:53 PM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:

The problem is that users at time expect miracles. I had one former manager who has returned after 3 years on contract (During which time the company has seriously evolved) complain to me about the unhelpful IT staff. He did not see why he should register helpdesk calls with a central helpdesk and how dare the IT dept refuse to help him without a helpdesk number.

I then had to explain that the number of it staff on site was reduced from the 30 when he was last there to 3 technicians, 1st and 2nd line support calls were now handled remotely and only by using the system would the business actually know how many support calls they generated and the KPIs agains the SLA etc.

IT staff usually delight in helping staff, but I used to get the "How do I questions" "I don't know, you are the application user", "But you should, you are the IT manager"

If convienient, you then use their exisiting on-line help etc. This is when it become frustrating as you know that in 6 weeks you will get the "Can you show me that again". They are incapable of using the provided help systems. and therefore become an overhead instead of productive member of staff.