SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-10-06, 12:15 AM   #1
I'm_a_Newbie

Default Safe Riding Tip

Hi All.

Here is a safe riding tip for you. When waiting to turn right across on-coming traffic, always have your front wheel pointing straight ahead and wait a few feet back from the apex of the turn. This way you leave yourself room to get moving before trying to turn. The most important thing of all though is that if your are hit from behind, with your front wheel pointing forward you will be pushed up the road and not into the on-coming traffic.

One small tip that might just save your life.

Should the forum have a safe riding tips section as a permanent feature? What do you all think?

Kind regards
Tim
Old 25-10-06, 07:30 AM   #2
Mogs

A good one, that I have heard before and follow.

Safer riding tips section may initially seem a good idea, but after giving it some thought, it may have a detrimental effect.

How many people really take heed of strangers’ advice as regard to their own riding skills? If we put a section dedicated to this are we not in danger of being perceived as “preaching”. This will certainly switch people from our site, perhaps the very people who need it most. We need them to join us on rides where they can watch and learn good and bad, if they seem receptive then advice can be offered. Once you know someone you are more likely to follow their lead (subtle peer pressure). Riding tips are important, but I think they will have a greater impact if they are embedded.

The other danger from such a section is people may post “joking tips”, that could be misunderstood and acted upon.

If you are looking for riding tips there are web sites dedicated to this.
Old 25-10-06, 07:32 AM   #3
tricky

I hope this wasn't learned by experience ?
Old 25-10-06, 07:57 AM   #4
grecian9

Yes, I got a minor fault for this on my Canadian driving test. Apparently in the US & Canada where there are loads of crossroad type junctions a lot of people get rear ended into oncoming traffic and die.
Old 25-10-06, 09:30 AM   #5
Kate

Hmm, interesting. I prefer angling the bike slightly towards the right, therefore you are ready to go, plus you may not be bumped so far if you are hit from behind. Also, if you are too far back from the apex, you can restrict what you can see and its also not what car drivers expect.

Just my 2pence worth.
Old 25-10-06, 09:46 AM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

^^ Another reason why we can't have a section, disagreement. But thanks for taking the effort.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-06, 09:52 AM   #7
The Basket

Good tip that.

I will certainly give it a go.
Old 25-10-06, 10:25 AM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Mogs I don’t see the harm in having a dedicated section … if people want to learn, they can read it, if they don’t want to learn/be preached too then they don’t … they will look at the other sections.

Also where there is disagreement, I don’t see the harm in this either … it can be discussed in the consequent thread, again this can only educate. It also gives a chance for ‘poor’ advice to be dismissed or at least given doubt by the unknowing if it has been heavily refuted in the thread.
Old 25-10-06, 10:57 AM   #9
I'm_a_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Hmm, interesting. I prefer angling the bike slightly towards the right, therefore you are ready to go, plus you may not be bumped so far if you are hit from behind. Also, if you are too far back from the apex, you can restrict what you can see and its also not what car drivers expect.

Just my 2pence worth.
Angling to the right is perfect for turning right out of a T Junction. But in my opinion wrong when crossing oncoming traffic.
Old 25-10-06, 10:59 AM   #10
I'm_a_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
I hope this wasn't learned by experience ?
No, I picked this up from a television program a few years ago that had a section on defensive driving.