SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-10-06, 05:50 PM   #1
Kinvig

Default ESP Edwards Guitars

Anyone ever played on a one of these?

Thinking of getting the Edwards Explorer from t'inter-Bay, as it's the Gibson style body. The only place you can get them from is Japn so I've never actually played one....Which is the problem.

Has anyone on here? Are they solid & reliable? Any hum? Interference in the p-ups?

Think that they're equivalent to the old ESP Greenroots guitars from the late 80s/early 90's.

& it's a pity that they don't do them in White!
Old 29-10-06, 06:11 PM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: ESP Edwards Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig
Think that they're equivalent to the old ESP Greenroots guitars from the late 80s/early 90's
/pedant on

Grass roots

/pedant off!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-06, 07:37 PM   #3
hovis

I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE GUITARS..... but the pick ups r good (sorry 4 shouting)
Old 30-10-06, 08:52 AM   #4
rob13

Do they not have a narrower neck than usual? Im sure my mate had one of these when we were younger and he was brilliant on guitar - very much into his metallica and could play anything by steve vai etc with no problems.
Old 30-10-06, 11:24 AM   #5
Jimmy2Feet

i am trying to think exactly which guitar you are thinking of, when you say Gibson style body which Gibson? esp use several Gibson styles, if it is the les paul style one then yes i have played them, they are nice guitars, i have not played any of the new gen ones but do have a new gen viper, and i think it would be a really nice play, it is one of the next guitars i am looking into getting, IMO all esp are well made and good guitars, but i would recommend that you find out as much info about what specs the on you are looking at getting first, for example, most of the new ESP's have active pickups, now yeah they are nice but to be honest i was a little disappointed, with them, now dont get me wrong they do sound great! but at the same time to keep that great sound and power output you need to change the battery IMO every month at least, which i think is a little excessive, but i suppose it all depends how much you play the guitar, i use mine twice a week for 3/4 hours for band practice, and then maybe another 10 hours a week myself practicing, plus gigs, so that might be why there is a need to change as often as i do, but still a little excessive IMO.
as for not being able to find one over here if you look hard enough you will be able to find one,
depending on ware you live "fret music" in Southampton is or at least was great for esp's, they have has nearly every esp ever made in there at one point or another, it is ware i got both of mine from, but obviously you might not be down this way, but give them a ring they are good guys they will be able to help.

other than that, just bare in mind what price tag there is on it if you get it, in essence you are going to be getting a esp that is trying to be a Gibson, and for the top line esp's you can be looking at spending about £1k, and to be honest you can get a new Gibson les paul for £1200, and that is so much more guitar for what you are spending, dont know if you have ever played one but, the other guitarist in my band had a standard les paul and it sounds phookin great, its really well balanced, great guitar, but so is the esp it all depends on what you want, i personally feel the esp give more of the sound that i am after, and you might find the same, but at the same time the les paul might make you get a little lump appear in you trousers!!!!

hope this has helped a little, hope you enjoy what ever you get/do.
Old 30-10-06, 11:43 AM   #6
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Feet
but at the same time the les paul might make you get a little lump appear in you trousers!!!!
And lots of pain in your back!
Old 30-10-06, 12:43 PM   #7
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
i am trying to think exactly which guitar you are thinking of, when you say Gibson style body which Gibson?
Do you think the words ESP Explorer might be a clue ? :P

Sorry, I'm guessing that he's referring to the Gibson Explorer shape.

I know nothing about ESP guitars

But, I used to LOVE the old Ibanez Explorer - very 'old school' - no active pick-ups or locking trem - just a fabulous tone & 'feel'.
Old 30-10-06, 12:47 PM   #8
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox
Quote:
i am trying to think exactly which guitar you are thinking of, when you say Gibson style body which Gibson?

But, I used to LOVE the old Ibanez Explorer - very 'old school' - no active pick-ups or locking trem - just a fabulous tone & 'feel'.
Korina? One of Eddie Van Halen's favourite guitars (before he f***ed his up), IIRC.
Old 30-10-06, 02:15 PM   #9
Jimmy2Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox
Quote:

yep that would be my bad, missed that completly!!!
Old 26-02-07, 08:44 PM   #10
Kinvig

Default Re: ESP Edwards Guitars

Well, I did it.

One damn fine guitar. Think I prefer this to my Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85s!

http://www.acoustic-electric-guitar-...-Explorer-105E