SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-05-07, 07:06 PM   #1
tmillard

Default Taking off the fairing on a 2002 SVS and converting it to look like a naked SV

OK I know this is possible and I am trying to find out all the parts I will need to get for this. My understanding is I need new gauges and a new headlight. Are there other items I need to get or other tweaks that are needed to make this change? I have been able to piece things together but what I would really love is a step-by-step how to with Pics. Anyone have something like this?
Old 21-05-07, 10:01 PM   #2
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default Re: Taking off the fairing on a 2002 SVS and converting it to look like a naked SV

think a nakey has diff rear/front sprocket ratios.

and different risers/handlebars..

why not sell it and buy a naked?
Old 21-05-07, 10:44 PM   #3
tmillard

Default Re: Taking off the fairing on a 2002 SVS and converting it to look like a naked SV

I have thought of that too. The issue is I am buying it with a cracked fairing from a frient. It sounds like the easiest thing might be to fix the fairing on it, and then sell it. I am getting a 2002 with a 2004 engine for $1400us.
Old 21-05-07, 10:54 PM   #4
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

u can get platic welding done-

it looks like new !
Old 22-05-07, 12:13 AM   #5
tmillard

I will have to look into that. I might be a heck of a lot easier. I think the idiot duct taped it so I have to gell all of that off first and clean it all up. I have some bad cell phone pics of it. I am trusting my friend that it is in good shape otherwise.
Old 22-05-07, 06:53 AM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It certainly can be done, and of course the easiest way is to use standard parts. I'm not sure about the availability where you are, but here in the UK the faired model outsold the unfaired by a considerable degree, making second hand unfaired specifc parts hard to come by, particularly the clocks as they are vulnerable in a crash and are thus difficult to source from a breakers etc.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-07, 08:16 AM   #7
Grinch

Also on top of that, the choke, throttle and clutch cables are longer. While the choke can be re-routed the others can not. You will also have to remove the fairing mounts of the main frame, but one of them is the support for the some of the electrics and stuff, so will have to be 'trimmed' and remounted. Its easier to get the plastic welded... unless like me you have other plans for the bike.
Old 22-05-07, 08:39 AM   #8
Warthog

The rearsets are different too, all the time I have spent at the breakers has turned up faired ones rather than naked, they seem to be rare.
Old 22-05-07, 08:52 AM   #9
Grinch

Yep they are a tad lower on the unfaired SV's.
Old 22-05-07, 11:32 AM   #10
Jase22

Faired rearsets are better I reckon being a bit higher and further back. Makes for a sportier riding position.

Just done the swap on my bike, as said above clocks for nekkids are hard to source and aren't cheap, you could potentially make yourself a cradle to hold the faired clocks though? I considered this, but ease of nekkid ones swayed me.

Wiring looms are different also at the front, you may need to get hold of a different front lights bit or do some chopping and shortening / lengthening of some of the wires to make things fit.

Unlike Grinch, all my other bits fitted when I put my flat bars on, ie choke, throttle cables and clutch. Must depend what bars you fit.

I chose to do it with mine as I liked "my" bike, and I knew the engine was sound. Although it would deffinitely have been cheaper to sell and buy another, this way I knew my bike would still be sorted.

Other random bits you'll also probably need are brake lines, headlight brackets, indicators and you'll need to give thought to radiator cover / gril.