SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-07, 08:19 PM   #1
rob13

Default Diesel Spills

With all this rain, i cant help but notice that these diesel marks are all the more easy to spot and its unbelievable how many there are. Been commuting with the bike lately and find myself riding around a lot of them. The diesel spills campaign seems to have died of death lately as well..
Old 05-07-07, 10:04 AM   #2
MiniMatt

Default Re: Diesel Spills

Yep, it's truly scary Roundabouts seem worse too. The missus had a close call in the car the otherday on diesel, and she had four wheels to play with
Old 05-07-07, 10:19 AM   #3
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Monday I approached the big roundabout in Denbigh (the one with the house in the middle of it) and there was diesel all over the floor. There was the usual cop traffic car parked up there, so I stopped and reported it.

wonder if he did owt about it?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 10:59 AM   #4
krhall

It's madness - the other day I followed a (more or less) continuous line of diesel from home to work - 13 miles and it was still going when I turned off.It was really wet and was obviously spreading as it does.How much diesel must these vehicles lose though??? and why isn't more done about them?
Old 05-07-07, 11:01 AM   #5
Gnome

Yup - also found a long stretch of diesel on the roads the other day.

Going to our Stratford office, the trail started at the top of sunrising hill, all the way down the hill, round the bends, down the next hill, and for a good 100 yards down the straight.

Truely shocking.
Old 05-07-07, 05:33 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

but it's not an issue with car drivers. I certainly hadn't heard of it until I started riding bikes. Maybe if it's advertised as an issue affecting cars too something would be done about it.
Old 05-07-07, 05:40 PM   #7
rob13

Thing is, so many people moan on about "Speed Kills" and always blaming rider error when really "Spills Kills" should be just as prevalent. It should really be made an issue of, especially when they seem to be highlighting motorcylclists vulnerabilities using tv ads.
Old 05-07-07, 05:44 PM   #8
LouLou

I was out on training yesterday and had a bit of a rear wheel wobble on a slick of diesel that streched quite a long way up the road
Old 05-07-07, 06:13 PM   #9
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
but it's not an issue with car drivers. I certainly hadn't heard of it until I started riding bikes. Maybe if it's advertised as an issue affecting cars too something would be done about it.
It does though, just not as not as common as bikes are affected.

Cars have spun off the road, due to diesel and wet roads. One of my mates did it coming off the M4 last year. Going up the slip-road to the roundabout, started to slow down on approach, and the car just spun round in a circle.
Looked back down the road, and it was covered in diesel.
Old 05-07-07, 06:15 PM   #10
Baph

I've had a LOT of slippy slidy moments recently due to crap of one kind or another on the road. A couple were diesel, a few weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Monday I approached the big roundabout in Denbigh (the one with the house in the middle of it) and there was diesel all over the floor. There was the usual cop traffic car parked up there, so I stopped and reported it.

wonder if he did owt about it?
That roundabout has nearly had me off a few times. Once the tyres start getting low on grip (but still legal) I refuse to ride near it because it's so bad.