SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 12-09-06, 03:31 PM   #1
anna
Mega Poster

Default Conti Road Attacks

Well I have changed over from Avon's (which came with the bike) to the Conti's and after having done 600 miles on them now I though I would give a summary on my thoughts on them ...

The conti's didn't take me that long to wear in a trip from Bristol to Cheddar sorted them out nicely . Obviously a new tyre on the bike is going to feel instantly better so I didn't want to instantly say they were better then the Avon's as I knew I had been riding on a very square back Avon tyre for a while.

However as the miles have clocked by I have made the following observations.. putting the bike into corners is so much smoother the bike now rolls into the corner and out and I am not finding it dropping sharply into a corner as I did with the Avon's (which happened even before the back tyre was squared! ).

I have also ridden in the wet on the RA and have to say that whilst I thought that the Avon's handled themselves well I think that the RA are comparably as good at gripping in the wet .

There is only one slightly negative thing that I have noticed about the RA and that is that the tyre seems a little softer in it's make up .. by this i mean that it picks up little stones in the road a lot quicker then the Avon's ever did and not just in the tread .. I am finding them embeded into the tyre quite deep as well.. I don't know if this is perhaps because i have the tyre pressure too high but I have keep the tyre pressure that was in the tyres after fitting as handling of the bike has been fantastic.

In the time that I have had the RA's I have ridden with utmost confidence in them and have felt that they have pushed my riding up another notch.

obviously these are only my opinions and tyres are very much a personal preference but, to change tyres to another make I had no prior experience on could have been an expensive mistake. Well it turns out that it was cheaper then most other tyres out there and have done nothing but increase my enjoyment on my bike!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-06, 10:52 AM   #2
tricky

You should get some good mileage out of them too, I got 7000 miles out of my RA's, there was probably a few more miles in them but they where rather squared.

Conversly I've just replaced my RA's with Avons
Old 19-09-06, 07:35 AM   #3
Kylie

I am just coming up to 8000 miles on my RA and I've liked them a lot. Agree with all you say about them, especially picking up stones, I have a small rockery in mine now! On the plus side that doesn't seem to have any bad effect, I have pulled large stones and a few wee bits of metal out of them and done thousands of miles since. I found I liked them best at quite high pressures, 38 on back and 36 on front, doesn't seem to affect longevity.

Mine are getting pretty square now. Like tricky I've decided to try some Avons for a change, tell us if we are making a mistake!
Old 24-09-06, 12:27 AM   #4
Warren

ive just gone from BT014's to road attacks, and to be honest, they are a totally different tyre. ill start with the good points

they bearly need warming up before they provide good levels of grip and confidence,

they make the bike sit lower, as they seem closer to the ground than my 014's, not by much, but they let me get both feet down now.

they inspire lots of confidence and give great feel to the road surface.

there supposed to give great milage, i got 13k out of 020's, so im hoping ill get better out of the road attacks.

now the bad points
steering is nowhere near as responsive as the 014's you get less cornering speed for lean angle compared to the 014's, you really need to push the bike in to get it to corner, where as the 014's you just had to lean a little bit and the bike would drop in, similar to what anna says, but i like a tyre that drops in.

the front seems to be shorter than the 014, putting more weight on my wrists.

thats it so far, ill update when ive properly scrubbed em in.
Old 24-09-06, 12:36 PM   #5
jim@55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
ive just gone from BT014's to road attacks, and to be honest, they are a totally different tyre. ill start with the good points

they bearly need warming up before they provide good levels of grip and confidence,

they make the bike sit lower, as they seem closer to the ground than my 014's, not by much, but they let me get both feet down now.

they inspire lots of confidence and give great feel to the road surface.

there supposed to give great milage, i got 13k out of 020's, so im hoping ill get better out of the road attacks.

now the bad points
steering is nowhere near as responsive as the 014's you get less cornering speed for lean angle compared to the 014's, you really need to push the bike in to get it to corner, where as the 014's you just had to lean a little bit and the bike would drop in, similar to what anna says, but i like a tyre that drops in.

the front seems to be shorter than the 014, putting more weight on my wrists.

thats it so far, ill update when ive properly scrubbed em in.
#

13k i only got 4000 and my rear tyre was goosed
Old 24-09-06, 09:07 PM   #6
Warren

that was before i learned to ride fast, i doubt ill ever get 13k out of em again.
Old 12-10-06, 08:39 PM   #7
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Evening all.
I'm a big fan of the Road Attacks, I've supplied and fitted well over 150 sets now to all sorts of bikes, and have yet to have a really negative comment!
You guys and gals ought to try the Sport Attacks, They're even better! And what's more, customers are seeming to get reasonable mileage out of them.

Cheers.
Old 12-10-06, 10:44 PM   #8
Warren

now ive put a few miles on the road attacks,
i pretty much love em,
they are nearly a perfect tyre for me, whats more is, they are amazing in the wet,

i can get on the brakes so hard and lean over much further on the road attacks than i could on the 014's or 020's without the rear skipping a beat or the front locking.

i just hope they dont make me overconfident in wet weather.