SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-06, 06:44 AM   #1
SpankyHam

Default Is my clutch #|_|(k€d ? (broken)

When I was shifting the gears ut this morning all of a sudden it went out of gear.

This happened twice shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear. - hit the rev limiter straight away, made a nasty noise.
Old 12-05-06, 06:48 AM   #2
Saint Matt

No, most false neutrals are caused by "Lazy Foot" mate. Change the oil if it keeps on happening and there isnt anything you can do
Old 12-05-06, 06:57 AM   #3
SpankyHam

Good Thanks.
Old 12-05-06, 07:30 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Also check the adjustment of the cable, and the clutch in general. If it is the clutch, they aint that expensive, or very hard to change.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 10:25 AM   #5
JakeRS

Default Re: Is my clutch #|_|(k€d ? (broken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickUK
When I was shifting the gears ut this morning all of a sudden it went out of gear.

This happened twice shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear. - hit the rev limiter straight away, made a nasty noise.
Did that the other day when I was doing clutchless upshifts... hit a false neutral and went right up to the rev limiter bang bang bang hehe...

*edit*

Also is it difficult to change the clutch cable? Need a new one on there. On my old RS it was a bit of a bugger to do...
Old 12-05-06, 10:28 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRS
Also is it difficult to change the clutch cable? Need a new one on there. On my old RS it was a bit of a bugger to do...
Not at all. About half hour max.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 10:34 AM   #7
kciN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Not at all. About half hour max.
With what skill level, sir?

Let me know in the form of a haynes manual!
One spanner for easy
Five spanners for hard!!
Old 12-05-06, 10:44 AM   #8
muffles

[quote="JakeRS"]Did that the other day when I was doing clutchless upshifts...quote]

how do you do that? my gear pedal is solid and won't budge if the clutch isn't in? what's the benefit/downside?
Old 12-05-06, 11:13 AM   #9
andyaikido

To do a clutchless shift you put a little pressure on the gear lever then dip the throttle just enough to take the load off the gearbox and the next gear should go in smoothly.
If you get it right you spend less time off the throttle and is smoother but if you do it wrong it makes for a jerky ride and a potentially knackered gearbox.
I was doing a lot of clutchless shifts on a recent trackday but kept finding false neutrals so went back to normal shifts.
Dont know about all svs but mine seems to like clutchless shifts between 4 - 8k rpm, any higher and its difficult to do smoothly.
Old 12-05-06, 11:26 AM   #10
muffles

ah, i see - i wonder if i've done it accidentally already - i noticed on all the bikes i've been on you need hardly any pressure on the clutch lever to get it to change gear...the "test" i have done was pushing against the gear change pedal when clutch was fully out, to feel the pressure, and it didn't budge.