SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-08-10, 03:51 AM   #1
thulfi

Default Funny motorcycle mag reader comment.

Well who would have thought the airport in Trinidad has free wifi, why cant we have that? Anyways thought Id share this funny article with the org that is prob gna take
donkeys years to type up on an iphone but I have hours to kill til connecting flight.

So picked up this motorcycle mag from Miami before I came here and saw this readers comment that they had sent in.

'As a recent and unwilling move from LA to South Carolina, I am compelled to report on the annual 'bike week' rally. Here is a translation of a conversation I overheard repeatedly:

''Dude, look at all the Harleys!''
''I got a Harley. Hey you ride a Harley too? Awesome!''
''Lets ride our Harleys round and check out the other Harleys!''
''These Harleys are all like totally sick bro!''

And that same dialogue in the original dialect:

''Gawdamn, lookit all them their gawdamn Harleys!''
''I dun got me a Harley. Gawdamn, you got wun a them their Harleys too? Gawdamn!''
''Les hit the gawdamn road an iball us sum a them thar gawdamn Harleys!''
''Theez hyar gawdamn Harleys are slikur then coon sh*t in pluff mud!''

For another glimpse into this interesting subculture, I suggest looking up Harley ads on craigslist in any South Carolina city. If you plan to travel here, remember to set your watch back 100 years'.

Made me laugh when I read it, remembering some of the American Harley slating we get on the org every now and then. It sure drove that point home well.

Last edited by thulfi; 01-08-10 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-08-10, 07:49 AM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Funny motorcycle mag reader comment.

A (slightly derranged) Texan work colleague once sent me a link to her local riding group's discussion board. They were slating off "rice burners" and knowing my (slightly eccentric) sense of humour and choice of steed suggested I write a rebuttal. I wrote a tongue-in-cheek piece comparing H-D to other bikes, littering it with references to agricultural machinery, having something that worked straight out of the crate, didn't get upset at the sight of a corner... Although none of them threatened to actually come over and shoot me it was not too far off.

Some US bikers think it's a God given right to own a gun, I mean ride a Harley, and if you diss one you are in their eyes dissing The Flag. I didn't retaliate to each post but once the fuy and venom had calmed down I put my second and last post in - dictionary definitions of the words sarcasm and irony. A lot of people in the US don't understand either of them.

I can easily believe that South Carolina article you read. Sounds like several of the single dimensional lunatics who responded to me.
Old 01-08-10, 08:09 AM   #3
Lozzo

With some noteable exceptions, I've generally found the average American to be dumber than yeast.
Old 01-08-10, 11:25 AM   #4
xXBADGERXx

I`ve stayed in South Carolina , in Weddington to be exact and found them to be nothing like the people described in the magazine article . I spent 2 weeks there and never saw a single Harley , saw more Japanese bikes than anything else . So the original people in the article were probably from somewhere else visiting for Harley Week or whatever it was .
Old 01-08-10, 11:48 AM   #5
Specialone

Ive spent 2.5 months in texas and most of the people i come into contact with didnt have harleys or spoke like that.
Majority were into hot rods tbh, a couple had really old harley speedsters (?) which actually looked pretty cool.
The concensus was they were for older more portly gentlemen

You will get redneck speaking people all over but the majority are no different to us.
The americans i have worked with /for are far from thick, some highly educated /skilled people which would put a lot of us to shame, albeit a bit show offish who love the sound of their own voices .
Old 02-08-10, 09:09 AM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
The americans i have worked with /for are far from thick, some highly educated /skilled people which would put a lot of us to shame, albeit a bit show offish who love the sound of their own voices .
Pretty much my experience too but as most of them never travel outside of the US they have a blinkered view of the world. They often have a slightly high opinion of themselves too and assume they know best.
Old 02-08-10, 10:02 AM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Americans have been the world superpower for twenty years and were that in all but name for the fifty years before that,so they behave just like the British did when we were in charge for the century previous.
Old 25-08-10, 03:30 AM   #8
thulfi

Kind of related to this whole topic but...

I got asked by an American med student if we have chocolate in England, lool I told her to take a look at her Cadburys bar and wher it was made.

I also got asked by an american vet student if we have Kfc. I said obviously, y du ask? She said well its from Kentucky. Now bear in mind these are vet/med students so shud have half a brain.

2 others Id met had never heard of Norway!! Wtf??
Old 25-08-10, 04:23 AM   #9
BanannaMan

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-10, 07:03 AM   #10
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

"Do you speak Spanish in Scotland?" was my favourite from my hols across the pond.

Only saw Harleys touring out in the sticks. No "ricers" at all in 2 weeks. They all seemed to be parked up in SF. And there, round every other block was a parked SV!

Hospitable and generous as feck, the lot of them, everytime and everywhere in my experience. And they are all either Scottish or Irish.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote