SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-04-12, 06:25 PM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Ride Magazine Reader panel

I was asked to join the Ride magazine reader panel this month talking about women's bike kit, and how badly most of us ladies are catered for. Size 3 feet, XS lid, 5'2" with a 32" inside leg but very short body - it's not easy finding gear.

Here is a link to a taster from the mag including the first page of the article I took part in. I've yet to see the rest as it isn't published until tomorrow so I'm not sure if they include my plug for for the Org as a great place to get advice about gear.

It's page 54 of the mag which is section 15 of this preview. (I'm the one on the black SV, not the yellow one)

http://issuu.com/ride/docs/ride_jun12_sample/15

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 15-04-12 at 06:27 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 06:44 PM   #2
christopher

Default Re: Ride Magazine Reader panel

I got my copy a couple of days ago, the only comment from you over the 6 pages (including the page with the photos and a page and a half from a Hein Gericke employee) is what you see on page 55 in that preview, about Simon Cowell and jackets being too tight at the bust.

Last edited by christopher; 15-04-12 at 06:46 PM.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 06:51 PM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I don't know who designs women's kit. We're not small men. Most women are longer in the leg and shorter in the body than men. Plus they don't take into account that women vary in bust and hip size. I also find gloves too short in the fingers, my nails aren't talons but glove makers forget most ladies have longer slender fingers.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 15-04-12 at 06:53 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 08:21 PM   #4
Mrs DJ Fridge

You are very brave commenting on kit following last week's 'discussion' on ladies kit.
Old 15-04-12, 09:16 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I actually did the interview weeks ago. I know compared to many of the ladies on here I've not ridden much lately, but we all seem to have the same issues. My leathers are Hideout. They are made on site by one lady. She made a suit for my friend who pillions only, all 6'1" of her! So I went there and was lucky enough to get off the peg. £700 for 2 piece leathers. But very comfy for the riding I do. Joking aside about my bust, it isn't huge but I wanted room for the womanly bits and a decent back protector which I've got. The trousers are long enough without being bucket crutch too. We don't put on our leathers to look sexy, but it's great if they compliment our shape whilst giving comfort and protection.
Old 15-04-12, 09:23 PM   #6
sv4me
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
We don't put on our leathers to look sexy
I do

Not sure its working though
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 09:27 PM   #7
Bri w

Got mine a couple of days ago too.

Body sizes vary irrespective of gender. I'm 5'9" but with an inside leg of 26-27", which means a long body. But my arms, like my legs, are short. I have wide hands, xl or xxl gloves needed to be able to get them on but stubby little fingers.

Getting a jacket that has the length means taking it somewhere to have 3-4" lopped off the sleeves. Same problem with the trousers, bought short and still have to have a few inches off.

At least I have no problem getting size 11 boots.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 09:47 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
We don't put on our leathers to look sexy.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 09:56 PM   #9
metalmonkey

What about guys?

I have xs lid, 29" leg, small hands so it ages to find any glove that was a good fit. My leathers were the smallest size in the shop and they are really a bit too big big I think.

They need to think about making kit isn't just for average person, along with given the fact that so many people are fat, quite a few aren'!
Old 16-04-12, 08:18 AM   #10
Fallout
Mega Poster

I feel your pain LPH. The mrs can't get leathers to pillion. The only thing she could wear would be mens large textile jackets (not even leather), which look terrible. She's a size 12 but very well rounded up top, shall we say, such that the zip can't be done up past the first few inches. I aint complaining, but it does mean she has never pillioned and probably won't because I'd never pay hundreds of pounds for a jacket just so she can come out once every few months.

I guess it's just a symptom of the female/male rider ratio. It probably isn't profitable to produce all the different bust sizes. Mind you, if one company did low cost leathers with a huge range of figure sizes, they may catch a niche and make a packet.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote