SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-06, 04:49 PM   #1
kciN

Default Carb syncing at 4000RPM not Idle!?..

Me again with another carb question for your humble opinions..

I've read on an American SV forum that some people sync their carbs at about 4000rpm rather than idle at 1300rpm. This being as we are more than likely to be at 4000revs than at idle when riding - obviously. (Or higher for all you speed freaks)!!
This, apparently makes for a better/smoother engine when riding, but doesn't idle as smooth as it should.

Do any of you sync at higher revs, or just go for the standard idle speed..

See here ((If you want to, of course))
Old 08-05-06, 04:58 PM   #2
paulthewitt

ive never even heard of that before.

heard of stunters setting their idle to 5k so they dont need throttle when standing on the nose of the bike in a stand up wheelie thingy......is that the sorta thing you mean? (obviosly without the crazy stunts!)

Paul
Old 08-05-06, 05:03 PM   #3
kciN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthewitt
ive never even heard of that before.

heard of stunters setting their idle to 5k so they dont need throttle when standing on the nose of the bike in a stand up wheelie thingy......is that the sorta thing you mean? (obviosly without the crazy stunts!)

Paul
Not setting the idle at 4-5k no, just syncing the carbs at higher revs so it runs smoother apparently, according to some. Still keeping idle at 1300..
Old 08-05-06, 06:11 PM   #4
empty

When I did mine, I did a balance at idle, then checked at around 5k rpm. It was close enough not to be bothered about, plus you have to hold the throttle very steady. Limiting factors were 1 pair of hands and the amount of noise coming out the exhaust in my driveway, so I was tempted not to faf about for too long.

MT
Old 08-05-06, 10:36 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

it makes a lot of sense... I know Andyauger does it that way, and he's a pretty knowledgable, if extremely closedminded kind of guy
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 11:57 PM   #6
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty
When I did mine, I did a balance at idle, then checked at around 5k rpm. It was close enough not to be bothered about, plus you have to hold the throttle very steady. Limiting factors were 1 pair of hands and the amount of noise coming out the exhaust in my driveway, so I was tempted not to faf about for too long.

MT
That's also what i did...........except I couldn't here the neighbours or the wife because of my Micron
Old 09-05-06, 12:01 AM   #7
Graham

Yes it's standard procedure, It has to be done at various revs or your not synching the carbs.
Old 09-05-06, 08:20 AM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hmm, not so sure about CV carbs, if they're set at idle they should be fine across the range. Thislooks more like a hangover from the old days of slide carbs, where you had to set the balance both at idle (using the throttle stop screws) and at part-throttle (using the throttle cable adjusters on each carb top).
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 08:57 AM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Carb syncing at 4000RPM not Idle!?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciN
Me again with another carb question for your humble opinions..

I've read on an American SV forum that some people sync their carbs at about 4000rpm rather than idle at 1300rpm. This being as we are more than likely to be at 4000revs than at idle when riding - obviously. (Or higher for all you speed freaks)!!
This, apparently makes for a better/smoother engine when riding, but doesn't idle as smooth as it should.

Do any of you sync at higher revs, or just go for the standard idle speed..

See here ((If you want to, of course))
What a load of cobblers
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 08:58 AM   #10
Razor

Not something I've done yet, where can I get cheap gauges?