SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-16, 01:05 PM   #41
SheepShagger

Default Re: building from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Thirty quid? You were lucky...

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-16, 06:22 PM   #42
SheepShagger

Some more goodies turned up today, nice shiny new rear disc, some to fasteners for said disc and my brembo SC series front pads. Found myself an 07 ZX10R shock for cheap on the bay, I'll send that off to be rebuilt and fettled, anyone got any good recommendations for having this carried out?

Old 27-09-16, 06:51 PM   #43
maviczap
Mega Poster

MCT are very good, but a bit far from you, but if you're posting, then no problem

http://www.mctsuspension.com/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 08:35 AM   #44
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
MCT are very good, but a bit far from you, but if you're posting, then no problem

http://www.mctsuspension.com/
Seconded, these guys did my fork rebuild when I put the R1 forks in my SV. Excellent service from them and great advice too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 07:05 PM   #45
SheepShagger

Cheers guys, gonna give them a ring tomorrow and see what my options are, the seller of the shock has agreed to hold the item for me and will send it direct to the company of my choosing to save me shipping it to them myself.
Old 03-10-16, 04:03 PM   #46
SheepShagger

Picked up my wheels just now, freshly balanced with new rubber and the Brembo discs all torqued up. Couldnt resist sliding the axle in, poping on a fork leg, and bolting up a caliper to see how it looks.

I know it's a long way off bit these little things help us keep going

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-16, 06:36 PM   #47
Bibio
Mega Poster

looking good.

if i'm not mistaken those are 2003 gsxr1000 forks and an srad wheel. if so then your going to run into problems.

if you use srad yokes to keep your steering lock you are going to have to space the discs out by 3.5mm each side to keep them inline with the callipers as the srad yoke fork centres are 214mm but the later ones are 207mm centres. good news is that you can use the axle and spacer/nut. if you are going to space the discs out remember that you will need longer disc bolts. i would also recommend that you use light fork oil (silkolene rsf 2.5w)on those 1000 forks as they are pretty harsh. you also need to factor in what weight you are. if your heavier than 13st the springs will need changed as they are only .85 stock.

if you use the later yokes you loose the steering lock you then have to find a way of reducing the discs by 1mm each side and reduce the spacer/nut by 3.5mm or get a 3.5mm spacer/washer made, wont matter about the axle as it will just protrude an extra 3.5mm.

due to the problems mentioned i always recommend that people stick to complete front ends from a given year including the wheel.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 06:45 PM   #48
SheepShagger

Cheers bibio,

I'm a bit gutted if that's the case as took all these parts from the duckman racing youtube vid and apparently it all went together with no fuss. As for the fork springs I've got some öhlins springs in 10kg flavour on order.
The zx10r shock i bought is currently being stripped by MCT siuspension and will be valved and sprung for my weight range too.

Old 03-10-16, 07:12 PM   #49
Bibio
Mega Poster

pop a list up of the parts you have including years, this includes the year of the yokes.

you must weigh 18+st if you intend to use 1.0kg springs. one of the most common mistakes people make is looking at race spec when the bike is used on the road, do not use race spec if the intended purpose of the bike is road use as it will just hop, skip and jump all over the place.

depending on parts all could not be lost. if you use all later parts but the srad wheel then it does work but your discs are offset by 1mm each side. some people live with this no problem, its not like the pistons will pop out when the pads get low. then when funds permit and one becomes available then get the proper one and sell the one you have as the discs will go straight on the later wheel. the wheel your after is the 'diamond' spoke type.

to keep the steering lock with later parts you can get a custom top yoke made for around £150.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 08:38 PM   #50
SheepShagger

As you said, the forks are gsxr 1000 03-04 yokes and wheel/axle are 99 srad 750, calipers are 08 gsxr 1000 and discs are busa/tl1000