SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-09-17, 08:08 PM   #21
DomP

Default Re: tyre wear

The front is taking quite an obvious second bounce where as the rear compresses but the rebound is very slow to return to a resting position.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-17, 08:15 PM   #22
Bibio
Mega Poster

front needs heavier oil added.
sounds like the rear swingarm/linkage bearings are partially seized.

there could be another reason. your going into corners too fast and shutting the throttle and sometimes 'chopping' the throttle just before mid corner then cracking the throttle open out of the corner. e.g. your shutting the throttle and coasting till you open the throttle again and sometimes trying to correct things by applying a little throttle just before mid corner then closing the throttle till you open it again on exit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 08:22 PM   #23
DomP

Yeah you said previously that I need a heavier oil in the front so I will look into that.

I've had the rear linkage and swing arm off at the end of last year and re-greased everything, there was no corrosion and all bearing rollers were in good condition so I'd be surprised if it was seized as it never sees rain.

I could post a video of it but basically it takes a few seconds for the shock to extend.

Old 08-09-17, 08:28 PM   #24
Bibio
Mega Poster

if what your saying about the rear rebound being that slow then there is something else at play like worn/loose bearings or shock bushing/bolt. you need to get the rear end off the ground without using a 'paddock stand' so the swingarm is free then stand over the back/middle of the bike, grab the rear wheel and pull up/down to feel for movement/clicking.
Old 08-09-17, 08:29 PM   #25
DomP

Will do tomorrow if I get a chance

Old 09-09-17, 06:57 PM   #26
DomP

So today I've had the rear up on my Abba stand there is some up/down play so I've had the linkage off again degreased the bearings and spacers and repacked with lithium grease. There was minimal corrosion on one spacer but I mean minimal and nothing was seized.

The play isn't from the spacer to bearing but the bolt on the one dogbone mount.
The rear still takes too long to come to rest.

One query is how the hell do you get a torque wrench to the frame to linkage bolt, there's no room.

Old 09-09-17, 07:40 PM   #27
Bibio
Mega Poster

if there is up/down play then no amount of grease is going to fix it, packing grease in only cures it for a very short while as the grease will get squashed out. something is worn. this is where your rebound problem is coming from.

if the bolts are tightened up properly then the play cant be the bolt. the only place this can happen is the rear frame mount to linkage with the two large washers which get worn and when this happens the bolt also gets worn.

most of the time its the swingarm bearings.

did you check the swingarm bearings while you were there?
did you check the top shock mount for play?

frame to linkage... you have to take the exhaust off. i just tighten them with my foot and a spanner.

BTW even a new shock wont cure the problem if there is up/down play in the linkage/swingarm. you have to cure the play FIRST.

either live with it and TBH the rebound problem is not that bad (i have seen worse) or spend cash sorting the play out.
Old 09-09-17, 11:16 PM   #28
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

One of my jobs in my youth was a,"Tyre Fitter".I saw this on cars as well as bikes and can just be a QC batch problem.This cannot be ruled out.

I don't think the OP should worry about it until they change the tyre and it occurs again and even then I might suspect the rider's riding technique.Might just be over using the rear brake,which is not needed with the excellent front braking the the SVs.

I use over 90% front braking in the dry on my SV.I only use the rear brake out of ,"Nostalgia"<grin>
Old 11-09-17, 09:49 AM   #29
DomP

I rarely use the rear brake to be honest, the tyres aren't the same brand so batch fault is unlikely.

It's defo something wrong with the linkage and too light an oil in the forks like Bibio suggested.

Suzuki the best place for linkage bearings, do they come with the spacers as one of mine looks a little polished from the rollers?

Old 11-09-17, 12:32 PM   #30
Bibio
Mega Poster

polished bearings are fine as you would expect that as long as they are not polished to excess or impact dented. i would be looking at the swingarm bearings and races as the most likely culprit.