SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-17, 10:53 AM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Your Favourite All-Weather Tyres for the SV ?

Pretty sure I will be getting Avons next year, I had some Avon ZV7 on my Honda Civic earlier this year at £50 a corner fitted and very happy with noise level and grip (they replaced Michelin Energy which were £76 a corner).

I know the Michelin energy are renowned for lasting but I don't do mega-annual mileage any more, and the Avons may not last as long (only time will tell) but they are more confidence inspiring in the grip department and no noisier.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 03:09 PM   #12
EnhancePW

I would always recommend Pirelli Angels GT, they have a 30% wider contact patch ,meaning more rubber on the road, and really does give the confidence any rider needs in the wet.

I'm not a confident wet weather rider but these tyres have been amazing in wet weather and they come into a totally different league in the dry, going round a corner you will feel like your on the edge of the tyre but when you stop and look at the chicken strips you will realise...god I've still got loads of lean left.

Very good tyre, highly recommended

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-17, 06:12 PM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnhancePW View Post
I would always recommend Pirelli Angels GT, they have a 30% wider contact patch ,meaning more rubber on the road, and really does give the confidence any rider needs in the wet.
More rubber on a wet road may not be a good thing, Just look at wet racing tyres, more channels than rubber to get water away from the rubber that is touching the track surface, slicks have more rubber on the road, but no good in wet.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 05:07 AM   #14
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnhancePW View Post

I'm not a confident wet weather rider but these tyres have been amazing in wet weather and they come into a totally different league in the dry, going round a corner you will feel like your on the edge of the tyre but when you stop and look at the chicken strips you will realise...god I've still got loads of lean left.

Very good tyre, highly recommended

Probably one of the worst tires I had on my sv. 3000 miles to canvas lost all feeling once square, found them numb tbh.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 05:48 AM   #15
EnhancePW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
More rubber on a wet road may not be a good thing, Just look at wet racing tyres, more channels than rubber to get water away from the rubber that is touching the track surface, slicks have more rubber on the road, but no good in wet.
Yeah I see what your saying, there's a YouTube review about them and how the bugger contact patch actually works with the tread pattern to throw water away. It's maybe worth a watch.

There's never going to be a right or wrong answer when it comes to tyres, what works for one could be completely different for another, it's just trying to find what works for you as a rider and riding style.

Old 04-09-17, 07:46 AM   #16
PyroUK
Mega Poster

I went with Avon storm ultra's on the sv, has a nice thick middle section so the wear was good and gave good feel all year round. Including miserable winter, spirited summer and a couple of track days.

I run Metzler M7RR'S on the the Daytona again all year riding and track days and

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-17, 08:30 AM   #17
Blapper

3D's. 5K and hardly worn yet grip well in the twisties.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 08:50 AM   #18
chezza

Ive ridden most of my 49k miles on the Michi Pilot Road 1,2 and 3 - out of all them the 2's seem to match me and the bike best. Thats not to say the 3's are bad, they're not, I just didnt like the roll of the rear tyre, seemed too steep (just me im sure). I had 15k out of the 1's, the 3's were on target for the same but have had punctures so am now on the 2's and love them.

I have tried Avon Storm Ultra 2's before and they were excellent in the Dry and pretty good in the wet but not quite as confidence inspiring as the Michi's - they never lost grip but would spin up easier - got 15K out of them.

90% of my riding is commuting on A roads but I do go for blasts when I can and go to France once a year and they have been awesome on those roads.

Hope this helps.
Gav
chezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 11:21 AM   #19
EliteAlex

I've got Pilot Road 3 tyres on my bike. These are the first tyre I've ever had and they are really great. very confidence inspiring and never had any issues with them. Wet or dry.

I really want to try the Pilot Power 2ct tyres next, just for comparison sake really. Dual compound is definitely the way to go!
Old 05-09-17, 05:05 PM   #20
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I just ordered a set of STORM 3D X-M for the RS.
The OE super corsasa are brilliant in the dry. But not so good for the wet weather.
Cheap enough to give them a try out