SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-11-08, 03:33 PM   #1
RichT

Default Further Training.

I passed my test about 18 months ago and have never looked back. Ride in all conditions and at least 3 times a week (usually more). Have been thinking about doing some form of advanced rider training, but I am unsure what to go for and other than an insurance saving I'm a little dubious of the benefits. (Let me explain that bit).... Since passing I have become good friends with the guys at the school I passed with. As such I have had lots of advice and tips, go on ride-outs with them fairly often and have done a couple of trips.

So I thought I'd ask the "collective" for some advice/opinions.

IAM (SAM) - Seems alright, but experience so far makes me think that once you've passed you're obligated to preach about it and view the rest of the biking world from a different perspective. (No offense intended, just going by what I've seen so far).

Bike Safe - Police rider training. I like the thought of this one, as in addition to improving your techniques, these are the guys who are gonna be watching you. The ones who know what they're talking about anyway....

California Bike School or the like - Seems more track focused but a collegue has done a couple of days with these guys and highly recommends 'em. Said he learnt a lot. (Pricey though).

Other?

I plan to book for early spring as a jump start for next summer.

What do you think peep's? I appreciate any form of advanced training is a good thing, but what would you choose and why?

I plan to do my first track day next year at some point as well - advice there would be good too.
Old 12-11-08, 03:36 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Further Training...

I would recommend a BikeSafe as it is cheap (or even free) and short. Typically lasts a weekend and will give a taste of 'advanced riding'. Try it and see if you think there is much you could gain from this type of training, then move on to the course that you think will benefit you.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 04:12 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Bikesafe is good, I did a day, I didn't get alot from it BUT I don't think I was in the right state of mind on the day. I'll be doing another one soon though and now I know what to expect I should be able to get more from it. The things I did obtain about road positioning have proved very usefull and I am now a slightly better rider as a result (and more confident with my motorcycle).

Try bikesafe first, and then see about doing more training. What sort of riding do you do though? I'm pretty keen to do some advanced slow-control type of riding, since I spend alot of my riding life in first and second gear, slipping the clutch and wiggling my way about london
Old 12-11-08, 04:25 PM   #4
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
What sort of riding do you do though? I'm pretty keen to do some advanced slow-control type of riding, since I spend alot of my riding life in first and second gear, slipping the clutch and wiggling my way about london
My riding is a mixture of town riding (filtering etc), A roads and dual carriageways mainly. Little motorway riding as my commute doesn't require it.

When I changed from my Bandit to the SV I spent a day riding with my old instructor. He had two pupils with him and I tagged along, gave him a hand and performed the manouvers on my new bike to get aquainted with its handling etc.
Old 12-11-08, 04:33 PM   #5
Ceri JC

I've only done IAM, so my comments on the other 2 are hearsay/speculation:

Depends what you want. By the sounds of it, you actually ride your bike as opposed to going out and trying to kill yourself at weekends, so I'd worry more about the road riding stuff. CSS is supposed to be superb and if their vids and Keith Code's books are anything to go by, it certainly should help you corner better. Unless you're looking at becoming serious at trackdays, or taking up racing, I'd postpone doing CSS. I'd say do Bikesafe and if you like it/get on with it, consider IAM or ROSPA.

I agree with you about IAM, some people are a bit too evangelical about it and some have difficulty conceeding it's ever wrong or that it has any flaws. My POV is that its not perfect, but that unless you are very experienced or exceptionally naturally gifted, you will get at least something out of it. At your level of experience, I would suggest you stand to gain a great deal. Don't get too hung up on the silly minutae like not being allowed balls of your feet on the pegs: once you've passed, you can drop the bits of it that you think are useless/wrong and use the bits that fit in nicely with your riding style.
Old 12-11-08, 04:45 PM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

IAM is perfect.

Seriously Bikesafe would be a good cheaper taster, then either of IAM or Rospa whichever is more convenient or you like the sound of. You don't have to become evangelical about IAM I know plenty that have just drifted away either before doing the actual test or after passing. It's just that sometimes many people (like me) find it so massively beneficial and considering the relatively low cost they can't help but at least recommend others check it out fir themselves.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 04:59 PM   #7
RichT

Cheers guys - looks like BikeSafe to start then.

Really didn't mean to offend, or appear to judge btw. I'm sure those IAM members I've met represent the minority.
Old 12-11-08, 05:32 PM   #8
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Bike safe is great. Pete and I did a full weekend with Warwickshire police a couple of years ago, and had a ball

You could also give Rospa a try. Unlike the IAM, their training is free and you only have to pay for taking the advanced test.

http://www.roadar.org/riders/how/index.htm

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 06:15 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You never know, it's unusual, but in some cases people have actually recovered from IAM. orose for example has now bought a gixxer and even intends to shave his beard

I'd say do bikesafe first.
Old 12-11-08, 06:38 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Bike safe is great. Pete and I did a full weekend with Warwickshire police a couple of years ago, and had a ball

You could also give Rospa a try. Unlike the IAM, their training is free and you only have to pay for taking the advanced test.

http://www.roadar.org/riders/how/index.htm
I might give the RoSPA thing a try. I'm not too bothered about tests but I do like to learn