SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-12-18, 07:48 PM   #21
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

so what exactly are the "deals" that the PM is trying to negotiate?

from what i can gather its more to do with migrants who dont have a UK passport. well as far as i'm concerned then they are "visitors" so will have to apply to become UK citizens or leave. same goes for UK migrants in EU.

trade.. the Gov must be rubbing its hands with all the import duty/tax its going to make. but wait the UK public are now going to see a rise in the price of goods especially white ones, yipeeeeee...

NI border.. yup there has to be one. no floppy or soft borders. i think this is where the biggest problem is going to be as the whole of Ireland will not be happy one little bit about a border again. not to mention the "nippy scots bitch" will want the same if there is a soft border.

so what other "deals" can we expect?

what can the public hope to gain with all the new found wealth?

as far as i'm concerned we are leaving so there should be no deals and i hope that the EU tell us to go do one for being racist fekwits.

south park sums it up well

Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 08:29 PM   #22
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

The problem with the border is that the EU won't allow the Irish to have an open one, I'm sure the whole of the UK would be reasonably happy with an open border between the UK and Ireland. Problem is it takes two to tango and the the EU have told the Irish not to dance. Perhaps it's bluff time.
Old 12-12-18, 08:50 PM   #23
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
The problem with the border is that the EU won't allow the Irish to have an open one, I'm sure the whole of the UK would be reasonably happy with an open border between the UK and Ireland. Problem is it takes two to tango and the the EU have told the Irish not to dance. Perhaps it's bluff time.
Honestly, I'm considering that I may not be able to attend the Wales Weekend..

The deal brought back was actually going to be very good for Ireland, avoid a hard border and allow free travel (which technically I can still do as an Irish passport holder). Typically the DUP are selective as to when they wish to be British and "in line with" but don't seem to realise the potential for a United Ireland much sooner and possibly on their watch.. Something that WILL lead to more bloodshed (I'm 30yo, and cannot remember a peaceful island. I suspect I won't either)

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 12-12-18 at 08:56 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 09:22 PM   #24
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I don't think anyone mentioned a united Ireland. I didn't or wouldn't. As far as customs are concerned we currently have an open border and that is what the EU will not allow if there is no deal. But that is up to the Irish. Perhaps I should have made that clear.
Old 12-12-18, 09:33 PM   #25
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned a united Ireland. I didn't or wouldn't. As far as customs are concerned we currently have an open border and that is what the EU will not allow if there is no deal. But that is up to the Irish. Perhaps I should have made that clear.
I did though because it's relevant on a local level if there is indeed no deal.. Something I feel is quite a likely scenario.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 12-12-18 at 09:34 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 09:37 PM   #26
Red ones
Mega Poster

Of course any deal that the EU agrees will be worse than membership. It's a club and the club will protect its members ahead of non members.

If you ran the club would you cut a deal that's better than membership?

The press are doing the "the deal is better than no deal" story. It probably is. But should we accept that as our fate? Do we accept a deal BECAUSE it's better than no deal, when you can be sure the deal is not as good as membership?

MPs generally spotted this quite sometime ago but it's now a game of stare. Who is going to blink first? No one wants to be the first to suggest a second referendum because the SNP will jump up and down and a chunk of the population will say they have been ignored. No one wants to be the first to say we stay in the EU. They all want the talks to fail spectacularly and then look like heroes putting out the fire.

Sadly politicians, press and people have forgotten the ability to drive national pride, interest and fortitude while believing in an united Europe. June 4, 1940 "we will fight in the streets... We will never surrender." September 19, 1946 "If at first all the States of Europe are not willing or able to join the Union, we must nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those who will and those who can." Both said by the same politician.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 10:12 PM   #27
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
We were talking about electing MP's not PM's
Similar problem, you only get to vote for the candidate the party selects.
In the case of Labour, local constituencies can't even deselect incumbent candidates which is a complete democratic outrage.
All representatives of every party at every level of government should face mandatory reselection at election time.
FFS don't get me started on the house of lords....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 09:42 AM   #28
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The EU is in 'massive damage control' mode on Brexit, they are fighting for the continued existence of EU (which is a lost cause anyway as they are falling behind the rest of the world anyway - a 1950's political idea in a 21st century world) about as flexible as a lump of granite. Varadkar (despite the huge amount of trade RofI does with UK) offered to be the EU useful idiot in frustrating a clean Brexit in the hope maybe of getting a united Ireland out of it if he was intransigent enough) I was buying some stuff the other day and it was almost in my trolly when I saw 'made in R of I and the telltale flag on the boxes - went straight back on the shelf, also buy Cornish butter and English cheese now, and nothing Scottish until they get rid of the wee ginger Krankie.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 09:59 AM   #29
Talking Heads

Rest assured up here stuff with union jackery all over it gets left on the shelves too.

England has always hated Europe and thought itself superior.
Well the EU has handed Westminster its @r5e on a plate.
Teresa's only hope is to revoke article 50 and blame the SNP for it, we get the blame for everything else so why not this too.

SNP only rose in popularity because of how badly Scotland is treated by England.

Prediction: the UK is over, England has killed it.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 10:43 AM   #30
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Sadly politicians, press and people have forgotten the ability to drive national pride, interest and fortitude while believing in an united Europe. June 4, 1940 "we will fight in the streets... We will never surrender." September 19, 1946 "If at first all the States of Europe are not willing or able to join the Union, we must nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those who will and those who can." Both said by the same politician.
As well as: " 1934: Winston Churchill warned that weak defences could mean that Britain could be "tortured into absolute subjection :
in any war with Germany "
How right he was 84 years ago!