SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 10-05-05, 05:53 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default Good motorbike schools

Hi,

Anyone recommend any decent motorcycling schools in the M/CR area? I did mine at the School of Motorcycling in Leigh which was superb, but it's a bit far away (a friend is asking).

Regards,
Martin
Old 10-05-05, 06:15 PM   #2
Bonart

Give MSM a try. It's who i took mine with a long time ago. There based in Belle Vue (greyhound stadium) and their number is 0161 223 9233.
Old 10-05-05, 07:16 PM   #3
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonart
Give MSM a try. It's who i took mine with a long time ago. There based in Belle Vue (greyhound stadium) and their number is 0161 223 9233.
I'd second that.

A mate at work did his DAS with them recently, said their instructors were great. IIRC they use CB500s.
Old 12-05-05, 01:07 PM   #4
bootsock

I did my CBT then DAS with MSM about 2 years ago and to be honest I wouldn't recommend them at all, mainly as I just didn't think the training was very good at all and I was with different people everytime I went out (5 in total) so it was a bit inconsistant, you always seemed to get different advice from different people and noone was with you for long enough to really look at your riding style, etc. A couple of the guys I trained there were good though for the day each I was with them, and to top it all off it was expensive too!

At the time I was there they had a few CB500's that were pretty wrecked old sheds (although to be fair they were possibly holding out for the newer FI model to be released before they replaced them and they probably have new bikes now) and 2 x GS500's which were fairly new for DAS. In hindsight I actually wish that I'd have gone somewhere else for my training and if I'd have not passed my test the last time there I would have found somewhere else.

As a result of feeling that I didn't have such great training I soon after went for the IAM course. I did my IAM training with Steve from Riverview in Bolton (http://riverviewrt.com/) who I can say was absolutely brilliant, plus their facilities are much better for the off road stuff as they have a proper tarmac area out the back with marked out junctions and stuff rather than just doing it in a car park like at MSM and the like.

Just my 2p's worth.
Old 12-05-05, 05:25 PM   #5
Anonymous

One place I wouldn't recommend is LTL - the guy is a patronising "always right" bar steward who treats you like a 3 year old. I signed up to him because he was cheap, I was regretting it after the first two lessons.

I moved to SOM in Leigh, complete opposite side of the coin, traditional bike shop style outfit, stinks of engines and oil - people there live and breathe bikes - Instructors a great laugh and know their stuff! Highly recommended but it's awkward to get to from where I am.

There's one down Dantzic St in M/CR which has hornets, however when I spoke to em on the phone they sounded like they couldn't be arsed - so that's a no go.
Old 12-05-05, 06:01 PM   #6
bootsock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton2005
There's one down Dantzic St in M/CR which has hornets, however when I spoke to em on the phone they sounded like they couldn't be arsed - so that's a no go.
I know the one you mean, quite a small place and the bloke there's a pretty decent chap, but it's really Manchester Aprillia so it might be that they are a bike dealer first and a training centre second...
Old 13-05-05, 10:43 AM   #7
Anonymous

Apparently they don't deal with Aprilia any more, it's just a training school (?)
Old 16-05-05, 12:48 PM   #8
Jp

I did CBT with MSM, i thought it was great.

The instructor who taught me had a great big BMW GS1100 (i think)

Top bloke
Old 30-06-05, 02:33 PM   #9
graphikill

i went with ACE rider training in bury...mike was teh instructor...... only took 1 lesson a couple of hours befor e the test withe them as PENINE TRAINING shafted me, cos i binned his bike on the day of my test he refused to gimme another bike..........

they where really good . didnt mind me turning up on my 500 without a licence,, and i passed 1st time.....
Old 30-06-05, 04:00 PM   #10
M65

Paul Bradley in Bolton. Dead straight guy, down to earth and tells you everything you need to know. Doesnt take any ****, but if you listen to him, you will pass.