SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-11-18, 06:41 PM   #11
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: more bad news if you speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Speed LIMIT not TARGET

Yes, just pointing out my surprise that it's apparently such a speeding hotspot that needs such attention considering my experiences recently on it.
I've had no worry of reaching the speed target... er.. I mean limit, let alone exceeding it.

Knowing my luck now I've said that I'll be zapped on my next overtake.

Some of the people driving locally to me really don't look like they should be any more though. Every other driver in our town is revving the hell out of their engine slipping the clutch everywhere travelling at 10mph.

I don't mind going below the limit and enjoying the scenery but there comes a point where you're worried what's going to appear behind you at speed and rear end you when you're following a 30mph car on a national speed limit road. Going well below the speed limit can be as dangerous as speeding in some situations.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 07:12 PM   #12
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Someone's done a speed awareness course then!
Not yet, clean licence here I'm not scared to open the throttle, I just do it wisely.. Both of my bikes sing a sweet tune when asked to, the Tracer especially

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 17-11-18 at 07:19 PM.
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 07:13 PM   #13
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Yes, just pointing out my surprise that it's apparently such a speeding hotspot that needs such attention considering my experiences recently on it.
I've had no worry of reaching the speed target... er.. I mean limit, let alone exceeding it.

Knowing my luck now I've said that I'll be zapped on my next overtake.

Some of the people driving locally to me really don't look like they should be any more though. Every other driver in our town is revving the hell out of their engine slipping the clutch everywhere travelling at 10mph.

I don't mind going below the limit and enjoying the scenery but there comes a point where you're worried what's going to appear behind you at speed and rear end you when you're following a 30mph car on a national speed limit road. Going well below the speed limit can be as dangerous as speeding in some situations.
Absolutely I'm not one for doing 45 in a 70 when I can be doing 70 ish.. I'm all about making space and making progress, depending on the ride at the time

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 17-11-18 at 07:26 PM.
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 07:53 PM   #14
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Along the same lines I hate it when people can't drive to the conditions. Heavy rain or even snow and people still driving beyond their limits, often tailgating closer than normal when allowing more distance would be a good idea, all because you're being cautious and riding slower than the limit.

We've had two cars spin out on the roundabout and flip over near us recently and both drivers seemed really surprised it happened. They didn't seem to register that it happened because they're coming off a 40mph road and trying to get around the roundabout without lowering their speed to join the 40mph road the other side in the rain. They acted like it was some bizarre freak of nature and just bad luck that it happened to them.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 10:59 PM   #15
Heorot

Some accidents just don't make sense. Near where I live there is a huge roundabout at the end of dead straight dual carriageway that splits into three lanes as you approach it. Somehow, the husband of one of our lease car drivers failed to see the roundabout in broad daylight and drove straight on to it demolishing the chevron sign and smashing the car sump.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote