SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-13, 05:53 AM   #1
suzukigt380paul

Default another triumph rant!

sorry i have to vent it somewhere,i do all the maintenance on my mates speed triple,those bits that need doing between services,and got the call this saturday,"i think my bike might want the oil checking and topping up".well to check any oil level on my fleet of bikes takes about 10 seconds,topping up is very easy on all of them,then the triumph came along,the triumph has no oil level window in the case,but has a screw in dip stick,a bit old fashioned i thought,then he handed me a pair of pliers,you/i cant undo the cap easily as its tight to undo and is in a recess meaning you cant get at it very easily,but thats not the best bit,you have to run the motor for ten or so minutes to get it up to working temperature!,then leave it to stand for 3 minutes,then pull/unscrew the dip stick (and thats tight on the thread,all the way out,and all the way back in)and wipe,then screw it back in,then upright the bike on level ground,put back on side stand,unscrew and check the dipstick,add some oil and then go through the last proceder again to check the level and yet again if you dont put enough in,what a pain of a job to do,then im told rightly or not that some triples start to use oil when they start to do a few miles,so keep an eye on the level,so thats a 20 minute job every time you want to check the oil!what planet do these triumph engineers come from,and on a lighter note i need a strong spring to put on this triumphs rear brake pedal,so he doesnt ride with his foot on it causing the brakes pads to be slighty on all the time,3 sets of rear pads in 10k,double checked and the rear wheel/pads dont stick and the caliper seems fine,so it must be down to rider abuse
Old 08-04-13, 06:43 AM   #2
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: another triumph rant!

If he rides with his foot on the rear brake adjust it off a bit------sounds like the bike is ok its the riders who is a plonker,my brake pads are not worn out at 25k miles and are replaced at a 24k service.Come into the real world mate,many bikes don't have windows or sight glass to check the oil and this is normal procedure,by the way my Triumph has a sight glass.What about dry sump engines[Aprilia] As to using oil I can do 3-4000 miles and 200ml brings it back up to the mark.but it could run to the service interval without going down below the min mark, and my engine has done 50+k miles so maybe he has a wrong un or his riding style is causing the problems.Every engine is designed to use an iota of oil so perhaps he has worn rings if his usage is excessive.No two engines are identical in tolerance when built due to the manufacturing procedures but are built to a +or - within thousands of an inch and occasionally you get one that is completely cocked up but this is all manufacturers not just Triumph,I had a Kawasaki that used 1/2 litre every 1000 miles

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 08-04-13 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 06:51 AM   #3
Spank86

Can't remember the last time I had a car with a sight glass instead of a dipstick and most of the sight glasses I've seen on older bikes have been cloudy and hard to read. Give me a dipstick anytime... Never had any trouble getting the caps off mind, have you considered more wrist exercises?
Old 08-04-13, 07:02 AM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Most Hondas use a dip stick, so triumph are not alone on that. The pliers haven't been needed on the triumphs I've checked, and if you check your Suzuki manual you will probably notice that the bike is supposed to be run, and then left to settle before checking that too. I'm confident the process need not take 20 min.
Personally I'd try to adjust the brake pedal position rather than fitting a stiffer spring, but as you say it's his bike so you do as he wants.

Jambo
Sent from my thingie
Old 08-04-13, 07:05 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Don't blame the bike just because your mate has grollied his...
Old 08-04-13, 07:39 AM   #6
robh539

I have a st1050 have no issue with the dipstick arrangement. very easy and quick to check and handy when oil changing. I was never a fan of the sight glass. Trying to see the level while holding the bike level.
Old 08-04-13, 11:26 AM   #7
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Ah Paul your hate for all things Triumph shows again... Its hard for all bikes to be perfect like Suzuki's

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 11:43 AM   #8
Spank86

My last Suzuki blew up.
Old 08-04-13, 01:29 PM   #9
andreis

Gotta say, the lack of a sight glass annoys me too. However, I have a centerstand and so even the dipstick is pretty easy to use. I think the idea of the dipstick is that you can pull it off while sitting on the bike, which would give you a sure footing for keeping the bike straight.

So the dipstick is for the lone ranger kinda guy, while the sight glass is for people with friends to hold the bike upright, or so it seems to me
Old 08-04-13, 01:53 PM   #10
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
Ah Paul your hate for all things Triumph shows again... Its hard for all bikes to be perfect like Suzuki's
His hate for Triumphs is only second to his hate for full stops, capital letters and new paragraphs.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote