SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-16, 01:40 PM   #1
Grant66

Default Anyone know how to setup IIS for FTP

Got an Ftp server setup on a Windows 10 laptoo, works well.
Trying to get it to integrate a virtual drive from a windows 7 machine on the same network. Can see the drive through external browser but can't access the content.
Seems to be related to permissions, but even if I add an administrator to the win 7 machine with same credentials it won't work.
Can anyone give me a pointer or better still a complete idiots guide. Googling has proved fruitless.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-16, 03:29 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone know how to setup IIS for FTP

as far as i'm aware the secret is in the name 'virtual drive'. although you can see the drive there is no content on the drive as at any given time its stored in RAM as its a virtual environment and local to a machine running the virtual drive e.g. blu-ray for reading ISO content or booting up a virtual machine. but i could be wrong.

might help telling us what you are trying to achieve?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-16, 04:47 PM   #3
Grant66

Virtual drive doesn't store it in RAM its a physical location that "virtually" appears in the FTP explorer structure even if its not.

Have a FTP mainly to share the contents of my music & video collection from the home PC (A) so I can access the files from my phone whilst I'm not at home. A few people have access. This works well & has virtual drives to limit access to various folder e.g my daughter only has access to the "Megs Music" folder. Virtual folders local to (A) have no issues and everyone can access there own area (using DefaultAppPool).
The IPCAM PC (B) (hidden somewhere in the house) records (you guessed it) video from the CCTV cameras onto a shared network drive. I can access this drive manually from (A) through the normal network, so windows permissions are OK on (B)?
What I'm trying to do is make this drive accessible from the same FTP server running on (A).

I can see the IPCAM folder when FTPing the server but can't access the files in there. Turning windows firewall off makes no difference. Using pass through authentication & both machines have permissions using the same username & password.

No idea why this isn't working can anyone help?

Fixed: Added IIS_USERS to the file permissions, not sure why that should make a difference.

Last edited by Grant66; 21-09-16 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 21-09-16, 11:05 PM   #4
DJFridge

How much music? Wouldn't it be easier to just store it on Dropbox? I run a Dropbox Pro account on which I store a backup of all our digital photos, our entire iTunes library and our ebooks. That way I can access them anywhere I want. Easy peasy meerkat squeezy.
Old 22-09-16, 08:23 AM   #5
Grant66

With CCTV video around 250GB. It's all working now and no cost or reliance on cloud services.
Photos are all ready done through Google.
Good shout on ebooks folder I'll add that

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Grant66; 22-09-16 at 08:26 AM.