SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-12-17, 05:16 PM   #5261
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post

Where's the gripe? Most of them had colds so there is a good chance I'll now come down with one just in time for Monday...
Kids are well known disease carriers, my brother hadn't had a cold for years until his grandson started nursery school and never seemed to be free of colds, which he generously gave to everyone.....much to my brother's dismay.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 05:46 PM   #5262
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Shortest day of the year, I bloody dislike the dull, dark winter.

Tomorrow the days start to get longer
Old 22-12-17, 06:45 PM   #5263
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post

Tomorrow the days start to get longer
Should have been posted in smile of the day

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 23-12-17, 03:20 PM   #5264
Red ones
Mega Poster

Brexiteers, especially those trying to justify the superficial features of a passport.

Yippee. We will have the same colour passport as Syria, North Korea, or a country run by Donald Trump. that will give us credibility when we are queueing up at immigration at any another country in the world (which currently we don't have to do anywhere in Europe).
But hey, its progress when we turn the clock back 30 years.

I get that it was worth leaving Europe so we don't get overseas bodies telling us what we can do, and what laws we can pass. That's why we will have a blue passport again, the contents, design and layout even the quality of it defined by a body of the United Nations. That's why we will cut and paste all European legislation in to British Law, because we don't want Europe telling us what our laws are, despite the fact that the government has just cut and pasted everything across and, therefore, meaning that we have just had Europe tell us exactly which laws we will have.

So the question is, are we leaving Europe? We copy the laws over and we pay tens of billions in divorce settlement and we get the chance to choose the colour of a book we show hold once or twice a year. But even the contents of the books will remain the same.

Good value decision.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-17, 03:52 PM   #5265
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Brexiteers, especially those trying to justify the superficial features of a passport.

Good value decision.
The status quo never was and never will be an option with EUSSR. We joined a common market many years ago not a bad idea but it has since morphed many times and is nowadays unrecognizable from its Common Market beginning - ( like the shape-shifters on startrek). with closer and closer integration and is acting like the united states of Europe - a massive social experiment that will implode soon (there are lots of countries like Poland, Czech republic, Romania, Greece, Spain that are not at all happy with the way it handles things - EU and Euro was a great thing for Germany, giving it a captive market with no barriers, but the Euro has failed most other EU countries).

You may not give a fig for national identity (just like the EU does not) but a lot of people do. Brexit voters knew it would involve pain and that they were by and large in the group likely to be most affected the most - personally I don't think not having to show your passport at borders is any reason to remain in EU (although lots of terrorists and illegal migrants think it is best thing since sliced Hovis). Robert Peston the arch remainer recently admitted on LBC that he was one of the 'metro-centric bubble liberal elite' that hadn't got a clue about the mood of UK and he said history would show brexit was the right thing - I really admire him for that.

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-12-17 at 07:17 PM.
Old 23-12-17, 04:39 PM   #5266
shiftin_gear98

Chopping up some kindling, rushing to get it done. Slipped. I've now got a ragged axe blade shape across the centre of my thumb nail! Thankfully it didn't go all the way to the wood block. Oh well, just off to find some alcohol to numb the pain. Purely medicinal of course.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-17, 06:20 PM   #5267
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post

Yippee. We will have the same colour passport as Syria, North Korea, or a country run by Donald Trump. that will give us credibility when we are queueing up at immigration at any another country in the world (which currently we don't have to do anywhere in Europe).
But hey, its progress when we turn the clock back 30 years.

I get that it was worth leaving Europe so we don't get overseas bodies telling us what we can do, and what laws we can pass. That's why we will have a blue passport again, the contents, design and layout even the quality of it defined by a body of the United Nations. That's why we will cut and paste all European legislation in to British Law, because we don't want Europe telling us what our laws are, despite the fact that the government has just cut and pasted everything across and, therefore, meaning that we have just had Europe tell us exactly which laws we will have.

So the question is, are we leaving Europe? We copy the laws over and we pay tens of billions in divorce settlement and we get the chance to choose the colour of a book we show hold once or twice a year. But even the contents of the books will remain the same.

Good value decision.
This summer the wife and I toured europe on the bike and went through 13 countries we had to que at UK / Holland and Croatia / Bosnia along with everyone else. It will be no different after brexit. The French-German border will not suddenly have border guards just for us. We just like the non eu Swiss will be governed by the Schengen Agreement just like we are now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 23-12-17, 08:31 PM   #5268
peatland

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
This summer the wife and I toured europe on the bike and went through 13 countries we had to que at UK / Holland and Croatia / Bosnia along with everyone else. It will be no different after brexit. The French-German border will not suddenly have border guards just for us. We just like the non eu Swiss will be governed by the Schengen Agreement just like we are now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We have organised a 7 country plus tour round Alps next September. Wifes a New Zealander so wondered how this works with open borders in Europe (her not holding a EU passport)

Turns out she will/should show it once in Netherlands, should get it stamped and then then same exiting Netherlands on way back.

Indefinite leave to remain in UK

Suspect after Brexit it will be much same for UK passport holders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24-12-17, 12:16 AM   #5269
Red ones
Mega Poster

And now it comes out that there is no law that said passports had to be burgundy anyway. They could have been blue all along (a colour dictated to us by the League of Nations, a non sovereign body outside the UK)

Brexit is a load of lies from the start.
Old 24-12-17, 11:36 AM   #5270
Red ones
Mega Poster

This must be my gripe if the year.
There is no magic money tree, unless you need the votes of the DUP who then run with the money and question the future of the Good Friday Agreement. There is no £4bn for a crumbling NHS. There is approx £50bn so we can have s blue passport that we could have had at anytime for nothing. But Farage gets a whopping pension and cried about how he won (and the tax payer pays)

I think most people would agree that £50bn for a change of colour of the cover of a passport might be a little extreme. Especially if they are waiting for 6 hours in A&E at the time.

I have still to hear of one piece of European legislation that anyone has the faintest idea to change that we could not have done before.