SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-03-18, 08:22 PM   #1
1988stacey

Default Poor start

I currently have x reg SV650 in the to start the bike from cold is really difficult I have recorded the issue I am having. If anyone has an idea of what it my be I will be forever thankful. Taken it to a few garages and all have said it’s coz of age and will always start like that. To be honest I think I’m just getting fobbed off coz I’m a girl etc thanks everyone. My YouTube video of fault can be found here https://youtu.be/xDm3sjA9vQM I could not upload direct from phone or attach the file for some reason. Thanks again
Old 19-03-18, 09:20 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Poor start

What a rubbish thing to say!

It's only starting on one cylinder to begin with and not very well at that.

As it's cold, I'd start with sticky choke plungers or seized choke cable.

Old fuel, does it run ok when it's warm?

Is the front cylinder drain clear so any water can drain away from the front spark plug.

New plugs

A bit more info would help?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-18, 09:56 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Like Maviczap says any garage that tells you any bike is a bad starter because of age should not be trusted.

My 1999 Curvy Starts On-The-Button every time with a little choke but I keep it well serviced.

Sounds like it just needs a decent little service.

Check condition of Air filter and if dirty or old,replace it.

Check/Clean and or re-gap spark plugs and or replace.

With a Digital Test meter(You can get them cheap) £7.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-M...sAAOSwujBZ2L~U

Set on the 20kohm setting test the Spark plug caps.If they are over 10 Kohms look to replace them.

Check the connections between the coils and plugs.

Google Search for SV650 Choke Plunger problems.They are well known for needing servicing if they have been neglected.

Get a Bottle of Redex Fuel treatment(ASDA/Wilkos Super markets) or similar and put a bottle in a full tank and take the bike for a good burn out.

There are some free Workshop manuals around for download and most servicing is covered in them,

https://www.carlsalter.com/suzuki-service-manuals.asp

I also like a Hard copy so bought one for my 1999 Curvy from Halfords.

All of the above is well within the skills of the average person and will stop the user being held to ransom by bad or lazy garages.The cost of any tools bought will pay for themselves quite quickly over time.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this and other forums who are only too willing to help mentor people,myself included to help save money and make Motorcycle ownership enjoyable and reduce expense.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-03-18 at 12:50 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-18, 12:48 PM   #4
1988stacey

Yeh once it’s warm it’s no bother but as soon as it’s touch cold the issue starts again and have to just keep turning over until it goes. Thanks for the help guys x
Old 20-03-18, 01:27 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

What is your technique?

I find the best way from cold is full choke and do not touch the throttle. Press starter for a couple of seconds at most. If it doesn't catch, wait a few more seconds (5sec maybe) then repeat. Do not touch the throttle if you are using the choke at all. Once it fires and is running the choke can usually be gradually eased off after maybe 10-20sec, easing the speed down gradually while it gets settled down.

Choke plungers can stick and the cables can break, either will cause cold start and/or idle running problems.

You can develop your exact technique to suit you and the bike and the temperature. The less cold the weather is the sooner you can ease the choke off. If a carb engine will start from stone cold with no choke (enrichment+extra air) then it is probably set too rich.

Once even slightly warm (been running for at least 30sec) it should usually start with no choke and just a hint of throttle.
Old 20-03-18, 01:34 PM   #6
mep

My 99 Curvy is a bit of a pain from cold too. Sometimes it would take a good few goes to fire up with full choke. A few times I have tried just half choke or even no choke and it seemed to fire up quicker but there was no real solution. I have recently added Redex and am due to do a full service when the weather gets better which will include plugs and a good look underneath.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-18, 08:53 PM   #7
1988stacey

Brilliant thanks again everyone will keep you posted, I’ve got the manual for a bit night time reading which the hubby is chuffed about ha. Looking through it I think I can sort it with a bit of YouTube along the way, the videos by tamsen cooper are pretty good.
Old 20-03-18, 08:58 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Just be careful if you remove the screws holding the choke plungers in, they are very soft and easy to chew up.

I replaced mine with little Allen bolts.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-18, 09:31 PM   #9
Dave_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
There are some free Workshop manuals around for download and most servicing is covered in them,

https://www.carlsalter.com/suzuki-service-manuals.asp

I also like a Hard copy so bought one for my 1999 Curvy from Halfords.
Hi, I'm trying to download from the Carl Salter link but not having any luck, I am after the curvy service manual as I've just agreed to buy one, picking it up next week.

Can anyone else download from that site or is it just me? Have tried different browsers, adblock on/off etc.

If anyone has a copy they can email or PM to me that would be great.

Thanks!
Dave_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-18, 12:31 PM   #10
mep

After experiencing problems over the last few months with poor starting and poor running whilst cold I finally got round to servicing my 99 Curvy (40,000 miles) over the weekend. I concentrated on plugs (3 years / 10000miles old), air filter (2 years old) and checking / cleaning / lubricating the choke cable at the split and the carb choke plungers. Now it starts on the button and runs a lot smoother. I had to replace the fuel hose too so all is good under the tank. The carb's were balanced 3 years ago with the last plug change so I might consider getting them checked again after seeing how it feels after a few runs. Oil & filter coming up this weekend to finish it off.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote