SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-03-18, 07:48 AM   #31
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vehicle Excise Duty Petition (Road Tax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
Create a new Potholes Agency (that will generate another 5 or 6 thousand jobs for civil servants), offer everyone on the dole a mandatory 'Pothole Fixing Course' or a cessation of benefits then employ them all (at minimum wage of course) to go fix the potholes.

Fixes both the roads and the benefits issues in the UK, win win!

Also will see a staggering number of people suddenly finding work, anything to avoid the hell of fixing pot holes day in, day out.
On their first day there would be an epidemic of twisted ankles, strained backs etc. supposedly caused by potholes - within 48 hours they would mostly be back on benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Let's replace seatbelts with a 8"spike in the middle of the steering wheel....
Would certainly get drivers attention - the more safety things and drivers aids fitted to cars the less attention people pay to the road, confident that in a crash ' I'm all right Jack' and I won't get hurt, s0d the others.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-18, 09:08 AM   #32
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
On their first day there would be an epidemic of twisted ankles, strained backs etc. supposedly caused by potholes - within 48 hours they would mostly be back on benefits.
On the first day of the course, not the first day actually doing any work.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-18, 01:52 PM   #33
ophic
Mega Poster

and most of the potholes would be fixed using photoshop.
Old 28-03-18, 04:30 PM   #34
PyroUK
Mega Poster

The problem really is the fact that's it's impossible to fix properly.

2 examples near me:

First one is a "small" one about 6 inch diameter, gets filled in once to twice a month, the edges go a little then chunks. It's a patch job that just keeps getting re-done. There aren't many on this bit but this is the one that is like a cockroach.

Second is a stretch of road on a hill, always had lots of potholes some really big ones that were patched, so they let it get really bad then resurfaced. However they must have only skimmed an inch or so off and then laid the shiny new tarmac. Within a month it started delaminating a d once again in the same places the holes came back.

The first one they can't close the (very) short bit of road to try and resurface as it's a seriously busy road that connects 1 side of a river to the other.

The second one is a very busy road (again chaos if it's closed but there are some alternatives) which is frequented daily by HGV's as it's a main connecting road. Add them and the incline it's no wonder the new surface broke so quickly.

There are a few places around where they've resurfaced with the nice new quiet tarmac which I think will be buggered in no time. Can already see ridges forming coming off roundabouts where the HGV's go.

Essentially what I'm getting at is, whilst the repairs need to be done and cash is hard to come by for them and inspectors, really we need a hardier solution for the surface itself.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Old 28-03-18, 07:50 PM   #35
SV650rules
Mega Poster

40 tonne lorries really punish our roads, vehicle weight is supposed to be evenly distributed over the axles, but axle loading of the wheels under the trailer turntable can be very high.

Concrete roads do sometimes crack, but don't get potholes but people complain about the noise. Concrete has an advantage at night as well as your lights shine further than on a black asphalt road.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 28-03-18 at 07:56 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-18, 10:21 PM   #36
Heorot

Pyro, as you say, small circular holes get filled and then decay and need to be repaired again. This is because the correct way to repair a pothole is to use a disc cutter to make sharp edges in a rectangle around the hole. Then the material inside the rectangle cut away and all loose material removed and new tarmac infilled. Although this is as permanent as possible, it is expensive in time and equipment, so it usually only done where it is essential. At least by the council I worked for.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-18, 08:52 AM   #37
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
40 tonne lorries really punish our roads, vehicle weight is supposed to be evenly distributed over the axles, but axle loading of the wheels under the trailer turntable can be very high.
There is no denying HGV's are bad for roads, you only have to look at the state of roads such as the A2 (in the news last week) and the M20 which carry all the traffic in and out of Dover to see that, however is there a practicable alternative? For my sins I do a bit of HGV driving and you would not believe how many motorists moan "something that size shouldn't be down here" whenever I go in and out of farms (typically in the countryside) or shops (usually in towns....). I generally ask them if they would rather see a line of twenty Transit vans because that is just about what it would take to replace my HGV. That's twenty times as many drivers in the queue ahead of you, not just at the roadworks but also in MacDonalds, roughly five times as much fuel being used, and most definitely a whole lot more people peeing in lay-bys........

On the bright side it might solve the unemployment problem, although the thought of some of the unemployed scumbags I've met being let loose with a pallet of Strawberries just doesn't bear thinking about......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote