SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-18, 08:56 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default SV major service

Just scheduled my AL7 for its major (15000 mile) service at B&B (Lincoln) for early May - £299 + vat.

Oil and filter, plugs (again), valve clearances and they'll loan me a bike since I'll be leaving mine overnight.

Here's a question: are you loyal to where you bought the bike? I bought mine in Lincoln which is 40 miles from Cleethorpes although we have a Suzuki dealer in Grimsby (2 miles from me).

I bought it from B&B because they offered a good deal against my Street Triple and seemed to want my custom, my local dealer (who was in the middle of a takeover, to be fair) were indifferent to my enquiries about a new SV and so I have stuck with the Lincoln dealer ever since.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 09:54 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV major service

I got great service from Single Tracker in Crewe, who I bought my K6S from. They did a major service prior to collection (the bike was 9 years old but had only done 7,500 miles), fitted a new battery (which I didn't ask for)
and even wrote down what the valve clearances were in the service book.

However, I do my own servicing so it hasn't been back since ... but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 11:46 AM   #3
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Just scheduled my AL7 for its major (15000 mile) service at B&B (Lincoln) for early May - £299 + vat.
Ouch thats a lot of money! And I dont suppose that includes adjusting the shims if they need it (which is pretty unlikely) - that would pay for a tasty aftermarket shock and you could learn loads doing it yourself.....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 01:13 PM   #4
glang

No its probably the going rate, it just seems like a lot considering the SV is very light on plugs (see other thread on here) and, unless youve ridden very hard, the same on valves. However to keep the warranty I suppose its a necessary evil (it would be worth asking if any necessary shim changes are included in that price as the checking is by far the easiest part....)
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 02:47 PM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
No its probably the going rate, it just seems like a lot considering the SV is very light on plugs (see other thread on here) and, unless youve ridden very hard, the same on valves. However to keep the warranty I suppose its a necessary evil (it would be worth asking if any necessary shim changes are included in that price as the checking is by far the easiest part....)
I remember a long thread on SVRider about valve clearances, the general consensus was that they only very rarely need any adjustment at the first scheduled 2-year / 15K mile check, and almost never need any after that until the bike is approaching six-figure miles, unless it's a track bike or oil changes / level checks have been neglected.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 05:42 PM   #6
tom_e

Considering I've been quoted around £250 just to check the valve clearances from more than one indy around here that seems a decent price for the clearances and general service bits.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote