SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-04, 03:16 PM   #1
Ibanez7779

Default The difference between an R6 and the SV...

I've been riding a friends R6 for a few weeks now, and these are my thoughts on the differences between the “6” and the SV

Having never ridden a full-on sportsbike before, I was looking forward to riding the R6 but when I rode it home after picking it up, I seriously thought there was something wrong with it. It felt a little underpowered around the small streets in town. I was riding it as I would the SV, and where the SV has the grunt, this bike is lacking. I was not impressed, and it was uncomfortable compared to my naked SV. I got home and told the missus that I missed what all the buzz was about with the R6.

But then I took it for a proper ride.

On my favourite 30 / 40 mile A & B road route is where my education began. When joining that A road, accelerating past 11,000rpm, past where my SV would be spluttering on the limiter, this bike comes alive! The engine screams THASH ME and the heart pounds. In what feels like only a few seconds and a few gear changes I look down and see 137 on the speedometer – JEEZUZ!!! I didn’t mean it, honest officer!

Ok, so this is what all the buzz is about then!

The brakes are good too, but the biggest difference, besides the totally different engine configuration, is the superior suspension of the R6. The bumps that upset the front end and unsettle the SV are barely felt on the R6, inspiring confidence. The cornering is also very good, allowing you to lean low and when you get used to the absence of an engine braking, and having to keep the revs higher to get the punch when exiting a corner the whole thing makes for a very satisfying ride.

But then you get back into town, and it lacks the fun punch and manoeuvrability that my urban street bike has in abundance. (Although after riding the R6 I tended to lock the back wheel of the SV until I get used the engine brake again).

So for the last few weeks I’ve had a gorgeous site every time I open the garage, hmmm what will it be today, the R6 or the SV…. Lovely jubbly! My mate had better take the R6 back soon because I am getting used to this now.

Which do I prefer you ask? Well, thinking of nothing else but a direct comparison between the two bikes, if I had to choose one it would be the R6. However, in reality, the total cost of ownership of the SV is lower without loosing anything considerable performance wise. The heart pounding front wheel lifting, engine screaming sensation of the R6 at 13rpm is truly addictive and this sensation is totally missed on the SV, but looking at the bigger picture, it’s a small price to pay and my SV is a better all rounder, much more fun and less serious. It’s 5 or 6 insurance groups lower, and if you keep it away from wide-open spaces, in the right hands it can be as quick on any B road as a sport 600, which is where I ride most anyway. I also stand more chance of keeping my licence intact and let’s face it, the R6 is the Ford Focus of bikes - they are everywhere, at least I have a since of identity with my slightly modded SV - which I love dearly!

Right, I’m off, which bike should I ride to work today then?
Old 19-10-04, 03:18 PM   #2
Iansv

Cool, best of both options depending on what you fancy riding
Old 19-10-04, 03:21 PM   #3
Ibanez7779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansv
Yes, that would be the life...
Old 19-10-04, 03:33 PM   #4
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez7779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansv
Yes, that would be the wife...
And the mistress too?

Old 19-10-04, 03:38 PM   #5
Ibanez7779

lol
Old 20-10-04, 06:45 AM   #6
MavUK

I'd love the R6...

But I've got to say I love the V-Twin far more than a straight 4...

Stu
Old 20-10-04, 07:21 AM   #7
DeeJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimons
Not looked back since getting my Ninja, it's a better bike for me in every respect.

Hail IL4s!

Lee
Sacrilege!!!!
Old 20-10-04, 08:25 AM   #8
Dirty Baz

Lee, you used to be cool!

j/k

I'm aiming for a Daytona by spring of 2006.
Old 20-10-04, 08:30 AM   #9
AlfBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimons
Not looked back since getting my Ninja, it's a better bike for me in every respect.

Hail IL4s!

Lee
BURN!!! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!! HE'S A WITCH!!!
Old 20-10-04, 08:42 AM   #10
Stef

Or you can do like me and have the best of two worlds : the grunt of a V-twin, the suspension of an all-sportbike and 100 hp : buy a Ducati 748.

I'm keeping the SVS though for every day use (and also because i love the little gem and i'm not ready to part from it yet) !