SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-09, 02:55 PM   #1
Gazza77

Default AV Set up advice required

Righty, I'm just pondering options as I want to add a couple of things to the current set up and pondering the best way to connect it all. I have a HD ready LG TV with HDMI inputs & Optical output, an old Bose surround system with Coaxial input (only one digital input sadly) and will shortly be getting Sky HD, which I understand has Optical, Coaxial & HDMI output. I'm currently looking at upgrading the old DVD & VCR to a combi, with upscaling.

Question is, what is the best solution to run surround sound from the Sky box & DVD? Am I correct in thinking that if I ran HDMI connections from both to the TV, then connected the optical out to the surround system (via an optical/coaxial converter) that I would receive 5.1 output, or would that not work?

And before it is suggested, upgrading the AV reciever to one with multiple digital inputs isn't an option at the moment...

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 03:00 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: AV Set up advice required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
Righty, I'm just pondering options as I want to add a couple of things to the current set up and pondering the best way to connect it all. I have a HD ready LG TV with HDMI inputs & Optical output, an old Bose surround system with Coaxial input (only one digital input sadly) and will shortly be getting Sky HD, which I understand has Optical, Coaxial & HDMI output. I'm currently looking at upgrading the old DVD & VCR to a combi, with upscaling.

Question is, what is the best solution to run surround sound from the Sky box & DVD? Am I correct in thinking that if I ran HDMI connections from both to the TV, then connected the optical out to the surround system (via an optical/coaxial converter) that I would receive 5.1 output, or would that not work?

And before it is suggested, upgrading the AV reciever to one with multiple digital inputs isn't an option at the moment...
Why bother with the VCR?

Get a PS3 for Blu-Ray and DVD and bin those tapes - will look REALLY bad on a decent TV - will probably not sound to great either.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 03:04 PM   #3
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Why bother with the VCR?

Get a PS3 for Blu-Ray and DVD and bin those tapes - will look REALLY bad on a decent TV - will probably not sound to great either.
Only want a VCR to play the odd old tape, and a DVD recorder for playback and also for anything we wish to record and keep. Other option is just a DVD recorder and bin the tapes but I'm prepared to fork out an extra £50 or so just to be able to rewatch old stuff I have that cannot be bought on DVD if I'm in a nostalgic mood. Surround sound won't be used for VCR playback, that will just be through the TV speakers. Even a PS3 would still have the same issue, the optimal way to attach 2 digital outputs to the one input on the AV receiver.

Now Benelli Tornado
Old 07-01-09, 03:07 PM   #4
james160987

are tv, sends signals back to our amp and it doesnt come out in 5.1,

the best advice i can give is to get yourself a av amp, ours in a 10 year old denon, but it does have three optical inputs,

we run, the hd singal to our tv via hdmi, and have optical inputs for surround sound,
Old 07-01-09, 03:08 PM   #5
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by james160987 View Post
are tv, sends signals back to our amp and it doesnt come out in 5.1,

the best advice i can give is to get yourself a av amp, ours in a 10 year old denon, but it does have three optical inputs,

we run, the hd singal to our tv via hdmi, and have optical inputs for surround sound,
New amp isn't an option, would mean new speakers too and I can't afford that at present.

Other option is to run an optical output from the TV, Sky & DVD via a 3 way switch and then an optical/coaxial converter, but that is going to mean a hell of a lot of interconnects.

Now Benelli Tornado
Old 07-01-09, 03:54 PM   #6
james160987

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...TANN-FX5.1-BLK

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...id=YAMA-RXV363

i was in the same dilema as you, we even rigged up a old stero player orginally, in the end just got a credit card, 10 months 0 percent and got these for 350 odd quid,

saves a world of hassel, and if your getting things like sky hd, etc you really ouught to get a decent system set up 1st,

i dont see why you cant use your old speakers though, spakers kinda work with anything
Old 07-01-09, 04:04 PM   #7
carty

I would also question the logic of the VCR mate. I bit the bullet and got rid of ours last year and don't miss any of the old crap I had on video. Any films I really wanted I just rebought online for about £3 each so you can rebuy quite a few films for the extra money a combi player costs (unless your VHS collection is huuuuuge!)

Also, you have to really want to store a lot to need more than the Sky+ box will give you. My V+ box gives us 60 hours recording and we only get down to about 20 left before we've watched stuff and can delete it off. Do you really need a DVD recorder?

I can't help on the sound front I'm afraid,

Cheers,
Matt
Old 07-01-09, 04:05 PM   #8
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by james160987 View Post
http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...TANN-FX5.1-BLK

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...id=YAMA-RXV363

i was in the same dilema as you, we even rigged up a old stero player orginally, in the end just got a credit card, 10 months 0 percent and got these for 350 odd quid,

saves a world of hassel, and if your getting things like sky hd, etc you really ouught to get a decent system set up 1st,

i dont see why you cant use your old speakers though, spakers kinda work with anything
Firstly it would be another £300 I don't have to replace a BOSE system that I'm perfectly happy with as a surround sound source and that cost over £1500 (I inherited it, didn't buy it). It's only downfall is a lack of digital inputs.

Secondly, I'd need to re run wires around the room, as the Bose stuff has specific attachments to the sub/power source and speakers. Having just laid a stone floor and run the existing power cables under it, there is no way I'd even consider that and no way SWMBO would allow me to just run cables round the room that were visible.

Thirdly, I have a quality seperates system for listening to music which I'm more than happy with, so don't need to worry about the Bose's audio only quality.

I'm more than happy with my current set up, other than the lack of digital inputs into the AV source. I appreciate your advice, however all I want to know is the best way around this, i.e. the least number of cables, rather than suggestions on replacing all my exisiting set up. Worst case scenario is simply switch cables dependant on what source I'm using (DVD or TV), but I'm lazy.

Now Benelli Tornado
Old 07-01-09, 04:07 PM   #9
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwrim View Post
I would also question the logic of the VCR mate. I bit the bullet and got rid of ours last year and don't miss any of the old crap I had on video. Any films I really wanted I just rebought online for about £3 each so you can rebuy quite a few films for the extra money a combi player costs (unless your VHS collection is huuuuuge!)

Also, you have to really want to store a lot to need more than the Sky+ box will give you. My V+ box gives us 60 hours recording and we only get down to about 20 left before we've watched stuff and can delete it off. Do you really need a DVD recorder?

I can't help on the sound front I'm afraid,

Cheers,
Matt
Stuff I have on tape has never been released on DVD so couldn't be replaced. Even if I don't have a DVD recorder or VCR or combi, I still need a DVD player: any of these combinations would leave me with the same dilemma regarding how best to connect them all though as there will still be muptiple digital outputs to one input.

Now Benelli Tornado
Old 08-01-09, 06:56 AM   #10
xXBADGERXx

Gazza , some TV`s will carry sound over HDMI depending on the spec of HDMI used . Ironically I have a Sharp Aquos screen that allows sound in on HDMI on one port and then lets me output it optically to my amp , the second port doesn`t carry sound , so even on the same TV it can be optional .