SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-01-05, 09:25 PM   #1
kjames

Default DAS training. how much? where etc

hi everyone.
i'm just looking into booking my DAS and finding out prices etc. It seems to be a little bit more than i was expecting - around about £600 for a 5 day course.

the other thing, i've been riding my scooter for 2 yrs now and done about 15k miles and therefore fairly experienced on the road sense side of things (although without gear changes) how long a course should I book. i was thinking the more the training the better, so a 5 day course. However i was expecting to pay £500ish max.

so, where did everyone do their training, approx how much and where they any good?. looking for west or north london.

cheers

karl
Old 05-01-05, 09:30 PM   #2
BURNER

On a DAS they don't really train you, only show you enough to pass the test. With them miles under your belt, I'd go for a 3 day course and save the wedge for some proper training.
Old 05-01-05, 09:35 PM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I did a 2 day DAS. Only been riding for about 6 months, but probably covered 10,000 miles in that 6 months on a 125! I can't remember exactly, but £260 is in my head!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 09:39 PM   #4
Mr Toad

Default Re: DAS training. how much? where etc

Hi Karl

I did my DAS last May, like you having done 2 years trundling around on a Scooter (mine was a Gilera Runner, wot's yours ?)
Did mine in Croydon with Matchless Rider Training, £500 in total, for 3 days + test

First day, redid the CBT syllabus but using a geared bike - Honda CB125

Then 2 days on a Kawazaki 500 that had definitely seen better days
Had an hour or so before my test for some last minute practice, like u-turns

Road sense, and positioning OK as you say from 2 years scootering, but lots of naughty habits to be ironed out

After I'd passed the test and bought the SV, it dawned on me that I was only really qualified to ride down a road at up to the speed limit (hit 60 mph on the test ) and to turn left and right without getting knocked off.

Bikesafe course coming up shortly
Old 05-01-05, 09:53 PM   #5
kjames

yeah i've a runner aswell....which if i squint and bend down really low... and its dark can look like a motorbike.
which was the idea, to try and fool the GF and get her used to a bigish scooter and than she might not notice if i buy a similar coloured SV
Old 05-01-05, 09:53 PM   #6
Kate

I'm doing my DAS next week! I haven't been on a bike at all so I'm doing a full five day test with the CBT on the first day and the test on the last Its costing £595 for everything except petrol I think. Its with Motag that was recommended by a couple of friends. They do shorter courses too.

http://www.motag.com/
Old 05-01-05, 10:00 PM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Extra for fuel?!

Thats a bit tight, not heard of that one before
Old 05-01-05, 10:07 PM   #8
Kate

Taken from the info:

Quote:
Our machines are supplied topped up with fuel and, as with any hire vehicle, you are expected to pay for its replacement as you use it
Old 05-01-05, 10:08 PM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Bah. I never had to pay, t'was included
Old 05-01-05, 10:15 PM   #10
Jelster

Default Re: DAS training. how much? where etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames
hi everyone.
i'm just looking into booking my DAS and finding out prices etc. It seems to be a little bit more than i was expecting - around about £600 for a 5 day course.

the other thing, i've been riding my scooter for 2 yrs now and done about 15k miles and therefore fairly experienced on the road sense side of things (although without gear changes) how long a course should I book. i was thinking the more the training the better, so a 5 day course. However i was expecting to pay £500ish max.

so, where did everyone do their training, approx how much and where they any good?. looking for west or north london.

cheers

karl
Karl,

Pass Masters is just off the A40 at the Polish War Memorial, going towards Yeding (A4180 - Ruislip Road). It's based in the "Country Club".

http://www.passmasters.co.uk/

I did my DAS with them a couple of years ago. If you've been riding a scooter for a couple of years you'll probably only need 3 or 4 days. Give them a call, they're a bunch of friendly guys.

BTW, I'm just down the road in West Drayton....