SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-06, 10:43 AM   #1
Baph

Default K6 Fuel injection

Got my new K6 SV650S delivered last saturday, and just wondering if you nice folks can shed any light on the fuel injection issue I've now got.

I took it for a gently ride down a single track road to start the wearing process. After I got about 3 miles from home, there was a complete loss of power, but the engine was still running. I slowed a little so I could look properly at the instruments. At around 20mph the engine decided to cut out.

On the instument panel, the LCD was saying "FI", the red oil/fuel injection light was on constantly, and the amber fuel light was on constantly. I know there was enough fuel in the tank because I'd recently filled it up from my 5 ltr fuel can. When I tried to start it, the first time it coughed a little. After that, the starter just 'ticks' & it doesn't seem to be cranking the engine.

After looking in the owners manual, there's 2 ways the fuel injection system can fail, and they are distinguished by the instrument display. Mine is 'mode A' as I've stated above.

The bike is under warranty, and the dealer is coming out to pick it up & will drop if off again for me, but I wanted another opinion (if possible) to figure out if I should be concerned he's given me a friday afternoon special.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-06, 01:43 PM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

From what you describe, it sounds like you have an alternator/rectifier problem. Basically I think the battery hasn't been charging, and you've been running the fuel pump and ignition electronics from the battery.

At least your battery sounds flat - clicking starter motor rather than properly cranking your engine.

It's not unheard of. I know that something very similar happened to Helen shortly after she took delivery of her K3.
Old 12-07-06, 10:07 AM   #3
Baph

Genius. Thanks a lot Billy!

I told the dealer what I thought (or rather you though) was the problem before the bike was dropped off at the shop. His reaction was "I seriously doubt it, its a new bike, we did the pre-delivery inspection including a test ride & there wasn't a problem."

When I picked the bike up, his words were "Sorry about that, the rectifier wasn't plugged in". So basically, it was (as you said) running everything from the battery. Lost power because the battery ran flat, and then cut out because the battery was dead.

I now take pleasure in taking the mickey out of the dealer everytime I have to go in there . Should anyone want/need to know, you can run a fully charged battery without charging it on an SV650S K6 for roughly 8miles before it dies (assuming average speed of around 40mph). So if you live in a city, about 5miles from the shop, you'll be able to ride it in with the aid of an overnight battery charger

(This post merely to say thanks to BillyC & keep up the whole Q&A thing on the forum. A good answer always deserves a big thanks - with that in mind, Billy, I owe you a pint!)
Old 12-07-06, 10:38 AM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

Glad to hear it's sorted, and rather smug that I was right

... sorry, did someone say 'pint'?
Old 12-07-06, 10:41 AM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
sorry, did someone say 'pint'?