SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-18, 04:25 PM   #21
ejohnh

Default Re: K1 starts but cuts out after a second or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
A few suggestions:
1) do 1 carb at a time so you have a reference, take pictures (you won't remember where the widget fits)
2) do it in clean area, ideally on a large table so when bits drop out of the carbs and roll, you'll find them.
3) an air line of some type is useful, if not essential
4) carb jets are brass, poking them roughly with a metal object can change their sizes which will introduce more problems. Some of the holes on the smaller jets are the size of smallish needles.
5) soaking the carbs overnight may help - you'll need carb cleaner, obviously.
6) some of the parts are surprisingly fragile (floats for example). Float heights are adjustable by bending (!) a tab, rough handling can also adjust them - you don't want that.
7) take your time and enjoy the learning experience, your next bike will probably be fuel injected so you'll be able to learn a whole new set of skills

(worst case - there are usually sets of carbs on ebay!)
I stripped engines and carbs back when I was young. My first bike was a 350 Matchless trials oil leaker in 1958. I had that apart in the flat where I lived with my family in London. My mum used to go bananas at me. Can't blame her, looking back Those were the days of the Norton Dominator 88. Tiger 110, Ariel square 4 and many others .

THis SV is the one I bought when I went back into biking in 2006. I couldn't believe how much bikes had improved since I got rid of my AJS CSR sport twin when my first child was born in 1962. Since I bought the SV I have had a couple of others , inc a Yam FZ1, but I hung onto the SV because it was simple the most reliable. She took me all over Ireland, France and Spain over the years. It will be my last proper bike. I am thinking of getting a Yam XMAS 300 for running around. My bike touring days are probably done though. Sad thoughts eh?

Last edited by ejohnh; 05-06-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 11:01 AM   #22
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I didn't mean to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, sorry. You'll have fun, I'm sure.

... at my local bike haunt I know a young man in his 80s that has attached a sidecar to his Vincent, added an electric start and rides it in the summer, in the winter he rides his Kawasaki outfit ...
Haha! First snag:

released cylinder head clamp securing rear carb but bolt head on front carb clamp is rusted too much for screwdriver to get a purchase. Any ideas on how to remove the front carb despite this? Not sure how easy it will be to saw through the clamp.
Old 06-06-18, 11:45 AM   #23
ejohnh

Getting at the screw is the problem really. I'll have to see what long drill bits I have. I'll try my dremel(copy) - I may be able to grind off the head if I can get at it. Hell of a design
Old 06-06-18, 12:42 PM   #24
Bibio
Mega Poster

for working on Jap bikes you need a JIS screwdriver as a normal philips will just cam out and chew the head. i got this https://www.onlyqualitytools.com/cat...ewdrivers.html and it has been a life saver especially the impact when loosening (it only loosens on impact) the top carb screws. its not a full JIS screwdriver but its damned close. for most screws you only need the PH2.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 02:29 PM   #25
ejohnh

Thanks Bibio, just ordered the impact driver.

I got the front carb free by levering the whole assembly up with a length of wood. The screw for the front choke cable entry is wasted. I'll try a small mole wrench on it later. I can see my having to cut the choke cable in order to get the b*gg*r off. .
Old 06-06-18, 04:11 PM   #26
Bibio
Mega Poster

wait till the screwdriver arrives before taking a pair of molies to the screw. i have been amazed at what that screwdriver will take out, screws that look totally fubar have come out.
Old 06-06-18, 09:41 PM   #27
netsurfer

As someone mentioned in another thread here, there is a JIS screwdriver in the toolkit under the seat (if you still have one)

Might speed things up for you!
netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 09:46 PM   #28
Bibio
Mega Poster

the screwdriver that suzuki supply in the toolkit is like cheese, they are useless.
Old 07-06-18, 01:46 PM   #29
ejohnh

I dug out an old impact driver I obtained years ago. It's got assorted bits. I propped a piece of thick softwood between the Carbs and the frame and used the impact driver. screw released quite quickly! It surprised me because the head was really mashed up.

The No2 impact driver I bought yesterday has been already dispatched so that's another tool I probably won't ever use I'll have a garage sale before I move to a smaller place

Going to London for a long weekend so I'll continue the carbs saga next week
Old 13-06-18, 10:37 AM   #30
ejohnh

HI, Question:
Is the carb heater strictly necessary, because one of the cables to the front carb heater has come adrift(the one with the small spring)?

The piston needles were a bit gummy. They cleaned up okay.