SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 02-03-08, 11:58 AM   #1
laMon

Default which engine oil?

Just gone out, and noticed no oil in the window, done about 6 miles, i doubt any damage could have happen in that time, but need fill up pronto.
wonder who's going to be first; me in the manual, or the forum experts?

ta muchly
Old 02-03-08, 03:57 PM   #2
laMon

Default Re: which engine oil?

ok, I see you're all out riding, and Mark is taking elongated nap

I bought a castrol something or other, as recommended by the manual, but almost 2l went in! , is my engine and gear box damaged? HELP PLS!!
Old 02-03-08, 06:12 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Hi Monica, Errrrrrr.....Naughty girl, should be checked frequently (everyday, or at least every couple of hundred miles), and as to oil 10/40 semi synthetic will do nicely, fill it but make sure not to over fill it.

as to damage, well hopefully not, but a bit late now I'm afraid, is it making any strange noises from the engine at all ? if you are worried then get someone you trust to have a listen.

Hopefully you caught it in time, but make it part of your weekly checks or your next post could well be "where can I get a new engine" and we wouldn't want that.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 07:29 PM   #4
laMon

ta Mark, no strange noises as yet. I didn't realise it can eat up oil like that, and the git who sold me the bike said, it should be ok till it's next service
Old 02-03-08, 07:32 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

well, did the 2l go in while the bike was on its sidestand or when it was level.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 07:50 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

unfortunately, not even the manufacturors can tell how a bike will be used and what tempreture ranges it'll go through, so a bike will burn more or less oil at different times, which is why it's important to check regularly, service intervels are a benchmark, subsiquent to those daily or welkly checks, tyres, tyre pressures, fluids (oil/water and hydrolic), a quick 10 minutes each week is probably all most people will need.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 08:32 PM   #7
ASM-Forever

That reminds me, i need oil.
Old 02-03-08, 10:13 PM   #8
SV-net

I get the spec from the workshop manual then trott off down to the local motor factors and buy the cars equivalent. The tech spec is totally the same and its like ten quid cheaper than the Suzuki dealership. I even contaced Comma direct and asked if the spec matched what I needed and yes it did. Had a Hornet a GSXR a Buell and the SV now and never had a problem at all.
Old 03-03-08, 10:12 AM   #9
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
well, did the 2l go in while the bike was on its sidestand or when it was level.
Just what I was thinking, 2L is nearly the full engine oil requirement. make sure its checked witht eh bike upright as you can do serious damage with too much oil....especially 2L worth!
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 10:15 AM   #10
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo_racer View Post
Just what I was thinking, 2L is nearly the full engine oil requirement. make sure its checked witht eh bike upright as you can do serious damage with too much oil....especially 2L worth!
3.1L is the SV req i think, i know i had to put a load in my bike yesterday, but only about 500ml, but i know my SV looses oil though a few seals.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote