SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-05-12, 02:45 PM   #41
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Joining an advanced riding group?

Well clever ,but if I can't see were I'm going or what's soft to crash into I doubt if I'd ever have faith to do that.
Old 15-05-12, 02:48 PM   #42
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
The technique is to pick a point in the road on the farside verge looking down the left of the tractor (say a telegraph pole).
Point A

Quote:
That point will disappear from view on the left as the tractor passes it into your 'blind space', the same point will reappear into view on the right as the Megane passes it.
Point B
Old 15-05-12, 02:57 PM   #43
Dicky Ticker

I AM A WOOS------------if I can't see what I am heading into 100% I would rather not chance my mit,not just because of on coming traffic but road surface and any other unseen hazards
Yes,hanging back and looking down the nearside of the vehicle in front to establish if it is clear and then moving over OK,but before I would do the overtake, while I still have the space I am in I would move out and recheck before commiting to the overtake. ---------------I AM A WOOS
Old 15-05-12, 03:51 PM   #44
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
while I still have the space I am in
Would expect this anyway on any overtake, in the right gear for the overtake, move out with the option to move back in and abort if necessary, nail the throttle when happy to commit and go.
Old 15-05-12, 03:54 PM   #45
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Best I get an Join up with the Chelmo' Lot and get practicing.
Old 15-05-12, 04:36 PM   #46
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
See video below, what the guy fails to explain in the video, is how to ensure there is nothing oncoming which is already obscured from view when you start looking!

The technique is to pick a point in the road on the farside verge looking down the left of the tractor (say a telegraph pole). That point will disappear from view on the left as the tractor passes it into your 'blind space', the same point will reappear into view on the right as the Megane passes it. As no cars have come in the opposite direction during that time, you know know (!?!)* that 'blind space' on the other side of the road is clear. You have been watching down the left the whole time so you know nothing else has entered that blind space either. So in theory (!?!)* you know the road is clear and you can overtake blind.

The reason for the big caveat (!?!)* is are there any junctions on left or right, or field entrances, or laybys, or parked cars. You have to be absolutely sure that nothing can have entered that blind space by any other means, and you have to be sure nothing is going to turn right.

This video is not the best example, because it's only a tractor and quite a steep bend so the 'blind space' is quite short (maybe why the video doesn't explain the clearing technique). Imagine a long shallow bend and 2 trucks to overtake, and that 'blind space' could easily be 250 yds long.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

And here's one that went wrong

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

And that's why I've never tried it. If I can't be 100% sure, I don't go, and I've never been brave enough to use this technique myself to enter a 'blind space', so how can I never have a doubt in my mind when using it? Maybe ROSPA will show me how.
You've also got to account for any concealed junctions/driveways between you and your reference point. Or vehicles you're sure you didn't account for suddenly appear on the stretch
Old 15-05-12, 05:17 PM   #47
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
You've also got to account for any concealed junctions/driveways between you and your reference point. Or vehicles you're sure you didn't account for suddenly appear on the stretch
Quote:
The reason for the big caveat (!?!)* is are there any junctions on left or right, or field entrances, or laybys, or parked cars. You have to be absolutely sure that nothing can have entered that blind space by any other means

You're amazing!

Old 15-05-12, 05:42 PM   #48
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:

You're amazing!

Gah I watched the second clip and responded to that, assumed the first block of text was referring to the first clip which didn't load for me.

Sorry, I keep coming on here to procrastinate from masses of work, it's a bad sign when you're even rushing skiving! Think I'll just stop. Got to get out of the habit of opening the org when I get home. Sorry Ralph!
Old 15-05-12, 07:00 PM   #49
-Ralph-

LOL, no need to apologise, I thought it was funny that you had just quoted that bit of text but hadn't seen it
Old 15-05-12, 07:05 PM   #50
NTECUK
Mega Poster

On my way home A120 have given it a Look .
It would have made for an overtake (mini bus).
But bottled it.
Sat behind it doing 40 mph