SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-08, 07:42 PM   #1
nik_nunez

Default Modifications and insurance

hopefully getting my sv tomorrow, i will be adding a few things to it, like, hugger, fenda extenda, R&G's, scott oiler, screen, etc nothing performance wise, do you need to declare these to the insurance company?

never had bike insurance not sure how strict they are with non performance parts

thanks
Old 09-07-08, 07:50 PM   #2
cooky

Default Re: Modifications and insurance

Insurance company's are generally only interested in anything that effects the performance or Security, Saying that it is always good practice to declare everything. Then they dont have an excuse not to pay out if something happens.
Old 09-07-08, 07:59 PM   #3
Dan

Declare it all. They may only put the price up for performance-enhancing or value-adding add-ons, but insurers WILL use any excuse to not pay out to you.
Old 09-07-08, 08:09 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

+ 1 on the declare it all stance. It does make sense to do so and then if you have to claim you wont have anything to worry about ( I speak from the voice of experience )

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 09:10 PM   #5
nik_nunez

ok i will do once i get the parts, hopefully it will not increase the cost to much
Old 09-07-08, 09:15 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky View Post
Insurance company's are generally only interested in anything that effects the performance or Security
The trouble is, everything affects security- makes the bike more nickable. It's never as clear-cut as some people will tell you but basically, if you ever need to make a claim you want it to be as simple as possible, it's hard enough to get a good settlement in a reasonable timescale without handing the insurers excuses to drag their heels.

Also, be careful with the policy- lots will happily charge you extra for the mods, but don't actually cover them. I spent ages with CIA laying down every last mod, add-on, performance enhancement etc, then when the policy turned up I checked the small print and it turned out the broker had got it wrong, and that even though they were charging me for the mods I only had return-to-standard value covered in the event of a total loss. Which considering my mods are worth about twice as much as the actual bike, is no good.

Carole Nash, Adrian Flux and maybe Biketeam are good places to look for modified bikes, but they're all expensive.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 10:20 AM   #7
rob13

Nik, I have used Motorcycle direct for years and never had any probs with them recognising Mods. Price never went up either. Just ask when you get one if they have any problem with them

Depending on what colour bike you get, and what parts you're after, I might have some bits of interest to you...Only live close by too so no delivery involved...
Old 10-07-08, 04:55 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Declare it all.
+ 1, I have had enough experience on this subject