SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-07-18, 04:40 PM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Inside a Chinapovic slip-on can

Interesting video from Canada, in which the guy takes apart a Chinese Akra copy. It looks reasonably well made, especially at the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxn8HgzHcP0
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 05:01 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: Inside a Chinapovic slip-on can

yeh I dont think the inside of the real thing would look much different so where does all that money go? Theres a comment about the packing probably being asbestos but I doubt that as in this application there are other materials just as good and more easily available. Course you still dont want to go breathing the dust......
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 05:45 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

where does all the money go? simple really. workforce size, wages, shop size, machinery, running costs etc.etc.. you get the idea. the Chinese have much much lower running costs than us westerners and the Chinese gov also give subsidies.

not to mention marketing and profit for the retailers.

just because its made in China does not mean its shizz.

us westerners will never be able to compete unless our gov's do something about the ever increasing cost of living.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 05:57 PM   #4
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Between 1995 and 2004 I worked in a plant making antibiotics. When I started we were making 70,000 KMU (kilo mega units) per week at a cost of £10 per KMU and selling for £13.50, When the plant shut in 2004 we were making 115,000KMU a week at £6.50 per KMU and selling for £5.00. The Chineese had entered the market. Our senior managers told us that wages were only a small part of the problem, far greater exspense was complying with planning, environmental, employment, training, council taxes, VAT, Road fund liciences, and all the others in a seemingly endless list of regulations, permits, laws ans taxes that the Chineese just don't bother with.
That's where the money goes.
Old 23-07-18, 08:51 AM   #5
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
yeh I dont think the inside of the real thing would look much different so where does all that money go? Theres a comment about the packing probably being asbestos but I doubt that as in this application there are other materials just as good and more easily available. Course you still dont want to go breathing the dust......

Well having taken a genuine Akrapovic can apart before I can say from what I can see in the video the inside appears identical, but then I guess they're all going to be the same basically
Old 23-07-18, 03:52 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Between 1995 and 2004 I worked in a plant making antibiotics. When I started we were making 70,000 KMU (kilo mega units) per week at a cost of £10 per KMU and selling for £13.50, When the plant shut in 2004 we were making 115,000KMU a week at £6.50 per KMU and selling for £5.00. The Chineese had entered the market. Our senior managers told us that wages were only a small part of the problem, far greater exspense was complying with planning, environmental, employment, training, council taxes, VAT, Road fund liciences, and all the others in a seemingly endless list of regulations, permits, laws ans taxes that the Chineese just don't bother with.
That's where the money goes.
+1

Some of the press tool engineers from the place I used to work went to china to visit a plant there, the Chinese version of a 'transfer press' consists of a worker sitting on the press bed alongside the tool, every time the press came down they would duck, every time the press tool opened they would grab the part from one tool and put it in the next tool along then duck as the press came down, grab the part and put it in next tool ............................. In the UK / Europe we would have to fit expensive transfer robots or servo driven rails with tooling that had to be changed every time press tools were changed, in China, plenty of expendable people. China has a worse problem with aging population than western world, and standard of living is rising so it may not be cheap for much longer (Japan and Korea used to be cheap until wages caught up with west). As you say, Chinese factories subsidised by state, no rents or rates or pretty much any of the overheads western countries have to pay - they have gone hell for leather to catch up, aided and abetted by western companies pumping technology into China in return for cheap goods, plus a large amount of industrial espionage and reverse engineering, but the west has created a monster, the next world problems will be caused by China not Russia, they are already claiming the whole China sea and building fortified island weapon platforms and telling other countries they cannot navigate into 'their waters' - countries like USA and Australia regularly send warships into the area to maintain international navigation rights.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 27-07-18 at 07:44 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-18, 04:58 PM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
China has a worse problem with aging population than western world, and standard of living is rising so it may not be cheap for much longer (Japan and Korea used to be cheap until wages caught up with west).
Exactly that. Industrial power relies on cheap labour.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-18, 01:40 PM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
not to mention marketing and profit for the retailers.
This.

Production costs and a product's market value aren't all that strongly related. The difference between these, multiplied by sales, is profit. Marketing tries to increase the desirability of a product and therefore push up its value, and also increase sales.

I reckon you'd be shocked to know the actual production cost of most things you buy. There's probably at least a factor of 10 floating around in there.
Old 26-07-18, 02:59 PM   #9
glang

Theyre probably all made in the same Chinese factory possibly even with Acrapovics knowledge as they know some will sell at high prices with the brand name and some will sell to the cheapskates but all will make a profit!
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 12:42 AM   #10
Geodude
Mega Poster

@Mal, the more you post the more i want to sit in a room with you for a few days and listen being lucky enough to met you in human form makes me smile anyways xGx

Ps hugs off your mrs are nice too

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote