SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-04-08, 09:27 PM   #1
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Spare laptop power supply?

I have 2 laptops that are usable for basic tasks (though not too much else!) but both of the power supplies are more or less fubar'd.

I was wondering if anyone in sv land had a power supply for a Compaq Presario 2100 (Model number - 325112-001) or a Satellite 1715XCDS (Model number - API-7595) going spare or could get one CHEAP?

They don't need to be in amazing condition as I only need them for a month or two until I buy a new laptop.

Have tried soldering new connectors on but they don't last 5 mins as the laptops tend to get moved about quite a lot.

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-08, 06:32 AM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: Spare laptop power supply?

ebay is the cheapest. Watch out though, a few of the 'new' units are reconditioned. I had one that didn't work which led me in to believing the laptop was broken, sending it away to be fixed, 4 months at the 'repair' place, a £60 bill......(hassle)

Last edited by gettin2dizzy; 30-04-08 at 06:34 AM.
Old 30-04-08, 06:56 AM   #3
MiniMatt

Maplin is your best bet, they do a load of universal PSUs with multiple connecters. Ensure you've got a model that can put out the correct voltage (some of the PSUs they flog are multiple voltatge) and is man enough to pump enough watts. About ?20 quid or so if I recall correctly, but multiple connectors means you can use the same unit for both. The Tosh and the Compaq definitely have different connectors and I'm pretty sure they require different voltages as well so a variable voltage unit would be the answer. Think the Tosh is 15 volts wheras the Compaq is 19.5 or something, check the underside where the power plug will go.

You can always wire up two adapators in parallel if you find a pair with the correct voltage but insufficiently butch enough to handle the wattage draw - these bodge jobs don't tend to last too well (at least when I do them) but get you through the day when three people all come up to you in the morning complaining that they've forgetten their power supply...

EDIT: Or, rather than soldering new connectors on, try using those square punch block thingies where you screw down either side of the wire. Then wrap it in enough insulation tape to repair the Titanic

EDIT 2: I'm bored http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?...ply%20Adaptors
Something on there should do the trick, double check the voltages and current required, I'm fairly certain about the 15v Tosh and the 19.5v Compaq but it's worth checking. The Compaq (if it is 19.5) will be happy enough with 19 or 20 volts but won't be happy with 15v, been there done that... Wattage will be a problem on the cheaper models, you're kinda looking for 5amps (amps times volts = watts), but dependent on how brave you're feeling you can often get away with slightly under-rated units if you keep them cool. Obviously, if the health and safety police are reading, I'm not actually encouraging that sort of thing...

Last edited by MiniMatt; 30-04-08 at 07:42 AM.
Old 30-04-08, 05:31 PM   #4
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Cheers, the Compaq is 18.5v, 90w and 4.6amp; the Tosh is 19v, 45w and 3.16amp. I hate laptop power supplies!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
Old 01-05-08, 07:27 AM   #5
MiniMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Cheers, the Compaq is 18.5v, 90w and 4.6amp; the Tosh is 19v, 45w and 3.16amp. I hate laptop power supplies!
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...220918&DOY=1m5 Could well be your bet then 19v should be fine for both the Compaq & Tosh, it'll get a bit toasty and may not last *too* long running the compaq but I'd probably take a gamble (not my computer tho!). Best to make sure the power connectors supplied fit tho, might be an idea to take a trip into a store and double check with one of the display models.
Old 01-05-08, 10:30 PM   #6
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Managed to get the 90w rated trust psu that also charges phones & mp3 plaqyers. Was on sale for £35 too!