SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-04-08, 03:02 PM   #1
kwak zzr

Default shopping for a laptop

ok so i have about ?400 ish to buy a laptop, it would be mainly for work but id use it as a home 3rd pc too, id like duel core and 2gb ram? anyone know of any good deals? having windows xp instead of vista would be a bonus too.
Old 26-04-08, 03:03 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: shopping for a laptop

this anygood? -
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139074
Old 26-04-08, 03:21 PM   #3
MavUK

Depends on what you are going to be doing with it and how long you expect to own it really... For surfing and mail it's be fine, but I think you are likely to be dissapointed with processor intensive apps (photoshop etc).

If you do buy it, and keep Vista on it let me know; the Asus drivers that come with it have major issues, but it's an easy fix (or it was for my W2W anyway) once you know what you need to do.

I'm not sure what your Vista experience will be on that machine - on my W2J (Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB) it was fantastic - a huge improvement over XP, but on lesser machines I know it can be a nightmare.
Old 27-04-08, 02:58 PM   #4
kwak zzr

got a HP pavilion dv9000, seems to have all the toys, blagged a carry case and optical mouse too for free is this a good'un?
Old 27-04-08, 03:08 PM   #5
MavUK

A quick look in google gives it a decent rating - only complaining abotu screen real estate (and you'll only get that after paying out a lot more money than you were talking about). The guys in the office who use HP laptops as their work machines (2* VS 2005 + SQL 2005 Dev edition - very processor intensive with the apps we develop) seem very happy so I can't see you being dissapointed.

Only time will tell Enjoy!
Old 27-04-08, 03:23 PM   #6
Welsh_Wizard

good lappies on dabs.com for cheap cheap...
Old 27-04-08, 03:51 PM   #7
kwak zzr

it was more than i wanted to spend but does have a 17" screen, 2Gb ram, built in web cam and mike, vista premium? oh err remote control aswell
Old 27-04-08, 05:48 PM   #8
ThEGr33k

Vista FTL. lose it imo... XP is soooo much better + doesnt use 1GB+ of RAM.

The link you showed looks fairly good imo. For £400 you wont get much more than that I wouldnt say.
Old 27-04-08, 06:59 PM   #9
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Vista FTL. lose it imo... XP is soooo much better + doesnt use 1GB+ of RAM.

The link you showed looks fairly good imo. For ?400 you wont get much more than that I wouldnt say.
Weelllllll... I have to say a chip that quick (Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz) , and 2GB I'd stick to Vista. I've ran Vista on my laptops since it was released and on a Core Duo 2GHz, with 2GB it was noticably better than when on XP - proved by both 3DMark score improvements, and *much* better FPS in Quake 4, Doom 4 and rFactor, even at higher resolutions.

On my new laptop (the wife needed a new one so I passed mine down to her and got an updated version of it for me - so Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz with 2GB) I can run Crysis at 1920*1200 (albiet in low detail mode) and it's still very playable. Although on the new one I have no XP comparison...
Old 27-04-08, 07:18 PM   #10
kwak zzr

yea this ones 2gig CPU amd turion 64x2 whatever that means lol, graphics are geforce 8400gs again dunno if this is good or bad? oh and whats lightscribe? sorry but i've lost touch with technology